Notices

I regret I got back in the opiate meatgrinder

Old 07-01-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Mentally I seem to be able to focus better and there is a slight good feeling associated with it.
Here we are at the crux of the issue, and what I and a few others are trying to bring to your attention. The pills were prescribed for pain. And while you are taking them for pain relief, you are also taking them for the effect noted above. It's subtle, but this is rewiring your brain for addiction. Couple the benefits with the discomfort that comes with withdrawal, which is mitigated with a pill...you are indeed treading a thin line.

I don't want to minimize the pain you are undergoing. But I strongly suggest you come up with a way to manage pain that doesn't include 6 more months of pain pills.

Your attempt to taper and quit failed. It won't get easier in 6 months.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Here we are at the crux of the issue, and what I and a few others are trying to bring to your attention. The pills were prescribed for pain. And while you are taking them for pain relief, you are also taking them for the effect noted above. It's subtle, but this is rewiring your brain for addiction. Couple the benefits with the discomfort that comes with withdrawal, which is mitigated with a pill...you are indeed treading a thin line.

I don't want to minimize the pain you are undergoing. But I strongly suggest you come up with a way to manage pain that doesn't include 6 more months of pain pills.

Your attempt to taper and quit failed. It won't get easier in 6 months.
I'll be honest, I don't think you're treading a line, I think it's behind you.

I can tell you that it won't get easier in 8 years either. Been there, done that.

I won't lie, opiate withdrawal sucks, and for a good while afterwards everything seems to hurt a little more than it should, your body doesn't seem to fit quite right, you feel out of focus, and your emotions are on a roller coaster. You become convinced that you have somehow broken something and that you can only be "normal" with the drugs.

Then it gets a lot better.

Then one day you find out how good Ibuprofen works, and you are amazed...
Old 07-01-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I wrote in someone's thread the other day that they would be well suited to take their own advice. I find myself in the same boat. Time to face the music.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

jeff, i think i told you before but i have "pain" every day.....no not excruciating, can't move pain....but my left hip now hurts if i lie on that side for too long, my knees always hurt, and if i have been sitting at my desk at work for very long, the first 10 steps or so are pretty funny looking. it just...............IS.

let's recall what the pills were prescribed for in the first place, not what other benefits you have conjured up. recovery from knee surgery. right? and you are as recovered from that as you are going to get , right?

since you started taking the stupid pills you have been setting yourself up for the BIG WITHDRAWAL....i swear you have STUDIED on what it will be like, just HOW awful, and i can't tell if you have been dreading it, or almost hoping it happens to you. as it is, you were ON a taper and then intentionally got a refill.

it's like you have your bailing can in one hand, and a drill in the other and you can't decide which to use.....bail the water OUT? or drill another hole so more water comes IN.

but either way, you are playing with fire. AND YOU KNOW IT. it's as if you like playing around the edges of recovery, like its a game. you tried the "I'm a big boy and I can drink if I wanna" game for a while.....now you are trying to "I'll start taking MORE pills when I am close to tapering off so i can see what these withdrawals everybody talks about are really like".

sweetheart, we aren't trying to earn Eagle Scout merit badges here. quit screwing around and take care of my friend jeff.....and give your poor wife a damn break!
Old 07-01-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

"But if I don't talk about it here and with my doctor, where else do I go?"

AA or NA....It's a roomful of people who understand, and don't judge.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're reaching out!! What's done is done! Get better, Friend!!
Old 07-01-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by Dharma33 View Post
"But if I don't talk about it here and with my doctor, where else do I go?"

AA or NA....It's a roomful of people who understand, and don't judge.
Worked for me. - And I really didn't want to go to NA.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

some really great advice here Jeff.

D
Old 07-01-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Ivan

Ibuprofen works wonders.....and if the pain is caused from inflammation, opiates do little to nothing....other than make one high. After my cancer surgeries I just took the oxy because it felt good. It was the Motrin that worked. After the script was out I was done. I'm an addict. Don't need more than one DOC.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hi Ivan

Ibuprofen works wonders.....and if the pain is caused from inflammation, opiates do little to nothing....other than make one high. After my cancer surgeries I just took the oxy because it felt good. It was the Motrin that worked. After the script was out I was done. I'm an addict. Don't need more than one DOC.
Sadly, I really do think the majority of my body pain is inflammation. The weightlifting just wrecked my joints, so advil would probably suffice.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff
Yeah, talk to your dr about dosage. I take 800mg of motrin when I'm really hurting. Probably once a week. It's rough on the stomach lining but doesn't bother me. I'm always in pain in the morning.....have just gotten used to it. I have a foam roller that really helps my low back and hips.

You're a good candidate for swimming and yoga.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IvanMike View Post
Worked for me. - And I really didn't want to go to NA.
Me neither.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hi Jeff
Yeah, talk to your dr about dosage. I take 800mg of motrin when I'm really hurting. Probably once a week. It's rough on the stomach lining but doesn't bother me. I'm always in pain in the morning.....have just gotten used to it. I have a foam roller that really helps my low back and hips.

You're a good candidate for swimming and yoga.
what about your liver? Ya know, the report is that Prince died of fentynal overdose. yet they had to make an emergency landing for a percocet overdose. you know percocet is just oxycodone with acetaminophen in it right? I personally believe the acetaminophen contributed as much as anything...and its legal.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

motrin is ibuprofen Jeff, not paracetamol (acetaminophen).
Old 07-01-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Me neither.
Things change.

Honestly, it's difficult to convey how resistant to going to NA I was. People that saw me come in use the words "hostile" and "unapproachable" frequently.

Internally I think it was a mixture of equal parts hubris and sheer terror, sprinkled with rage and dismay.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

what about your liver? Ya know, the report is that Prince died of fentynal overdose. yet they had to make an emergency landing for a percocet overdose. you know percocet is just oxycodone with acetaminophen in it right? I personally believe the acetaminophen contributed as much as anything...and its legal.
Seems a little conspiracy theory like... prob was just the fentanyl.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
Seems a little conspiracy theory like... prob was just the fentanyl.
Agreed. But to go from percocet to fetynal is quite a leap.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Prince didn't die due to acetaminophen's effects on the liver.
It would have manifested much differently. The opioid resulted in respiratory depression and he stopped breathing. Very common with opioids with certain profiles.

If you don't want to use acetaminophen, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen can be used. Not to say NSAIDs aren't without their risks (ulcers), but they can be used for pain management. There is also the option of COX-2 inhibitors, but I would talk with your doctor about what options may be best to manage your pain other than opioids.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Thread's not about Prince...

And you'd be surprised. Once you need the opiates, you get to the point where it doesn't matter....
Old 07-02-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Not as much as the leap in thinking coroners, pathologists, etc., are hiding acetaminophen overdose as the cause of death. If you want to get into conspiracy theory, then you'd be better served asking why Prince wasn't given Narcon, which is given to all patients who are unconscious as a precaution even when they don't suspect opiate overdose.