Notices

What, me smile?

Old 06-30-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What, me smile?

Day 33 and I actually caught myself spontaneously smiling ear-to-ear and fist pumping while blasting The Alarm in my truck - the song, "Strength," seemed very apropos, given my situation. Anyway, I plan on hitting the gym after work and then cooking myself a big chicken dinner (cause I'm a winner, winner) this evening.

Two observations: 1) The last time I got sober my health (both mental and physical) seemed to come back at a rate of about 7% per day, so it took me a good two weeks to even feel somewhat human. This time around, however, it's more a rate of 2 or 3%. I suppose that if I ever go out again, god forbid, that if I even make it back it'll be at a rate of 1% - so three full months to get leveled out again. Scary. 2) Could it be possible that a brutal withdrawal leaves us with some degree of trauma? I've been assaulted at gunpoint before and even that did not leave me feeling as shell shocked as these withdrawals I've been through. I STILL get kind of weak in the knees just thinking about the last few weeks. PWSD - Post Withdrawal Stress Syndrome, anyone?
Old 06-30-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Thinman! Congratulations on 33 days!

I would suggest reading around here on the topic of "kindling." It will explain why your recovery takes longer each time, and why you want to be sure to never drink again.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

we share the same sober day 33 for me too. Congrats!!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well alright, graciepearl - let's do this! As for your reply, Coldfusion, I am all studied up on "kindling" and what a horrendous, terrifying thing it is. It is probably like 90% of why I'm able to abstain from drinking right now, since the sheer nightmare of what would happen if I do drink far outweighs what (if any) willpower I have. I've always been the stubborn, hardheaded sort, so it took something as powerful as kindling to finally kick my consumption.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Congrats on 33, THINman. Keep it up!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're starting to feel better theTHINman. The first few weeks are generally hard for most of us - there's no doubt about that.

D