Notices

here's how I know I have a problem

Old 06-29-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

here's how I know I have a problem

we were at a dinner last night, and there was a long menu of expensive cocktails. The waitress asked me three times what I wanted to drink even though I kept repeating "just water." I understand that most people order drinks in that context and maybe she didn't hear me but when I looked around at everyone sharing a bottle of wine or sipping a cocktail, I wasn't even slightly tempted to drink. Because I would have needed at least seven drinks to "enjoy" a cocktail or two bottles of wine just for me. It was such a relief for me to know for sure I cannot drink and to realize how insane my drink order would have sounded at the table :" I'll have seven vodkas please. Or two bottles of Merlot, yes just for me. And forget the dish that I ordered, I'll just have the drinks. thanks "
Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hahaha..... yeap.

I can totally relate.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by effortjoy View Post
we were at a dinner last night, and there was a long menu of expensive cocktails. The waitress asked me three times what I wanted to drink even though I kept repeating "just water." I understand that most people order drinks in that context and maybe she didn't hear me but when I looked around at everyone sharing a bottle of wine or sipping a cocktail, I wasn't even slightly tempted to drink. Because I would have needed at least seven drinks to "enjoy" a cocktail or two bottles of wine just for me. It was such a relief for me to know for sure I cannot drink and to realize how insane my drink order would have sounded at the table :" I'll have seven vodkas please. Or two bottles of Merlot, yes just for me. And forget the dish that I ordered, I'll just have the drinks. thanks "
That would be me, too. I can never understand how my husband drink one beer a night just for the taste. Once that buzz settled in, I kept going. And, no, I wasn't drinking cheap vodka for the taste. When I went to restaurants, I knew i could not order seven shots (that would be desirable), so instead I brought back up in my purse and used the bathroom time after time. People I was dining with probably thought I had some sort of bladder problem. I'd really pound right before the meal came because I knew after it would get harder to get drunk (rolls eyes at self).
Old 06-29-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good observation, and I can relate. When I went out to eat, I never ordered alcohol. Why? It was never going to be enough to get me where I wanted to be.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I want to a holiday lunch with people I work with (thank goodness I don't have to see them since I don't work in their office). All the women were trying to get into everyone's personal dating business/love life while getting sloshed with vino that the boss kept ordering over and over and over.

The boss kept asking me over and over and over if I wanted something to drink, he was almost pleading for me to drink, complete with puppydog eyes. I politely declined.

I know it might sound strange, but I really felt like an outsider, me being the only one at the table not drinking like some sort of aquatic vacuum. It did make me a little uncomfortable but not ashamed at all. I left with my head held up high, and it was beautiful to drive home sober, not having to fear getting pulled over. I asked if everyone was okay to drive before I left, though.

I feel ya. Just keep going the sober route. It just keeps getting better and your resolve will increase each time you're tested.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's incredibly awesome OceanGuy - seeing that situation with sober eyes and keeping your wits about you - that must feel sort of exhiliarating now.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hahaha "puppydog eyes"
Old 06-30-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok so yes we have a "problem" but man - knowing yourself, acknowledging the problem and choosing to steer clear is just being a good human being in my opinion
Old 06-30-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Yup, nothing like going out to eat with a buddy, ordering a pitcher of IPA, and then turning to your friend and saying, "what are you going to drink?"
Old 06-30-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LOL, I hate when I get asked more than once. Just once I'd like to say "Yes, I'll drink". "Bring it....all of it." I'll regret it tomorrow but your regrets are scheduled to start in about an hour..
Old 06-30-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I so get it, I had a conversation with my co worker the other day and I casually said I'd drank a bottle of wine, and the look on her face was eye-opening. She said, "you weren't drunk?" I said no. It takes me at least two bottles. It's scary to finally notice that tolerance levels will continue to rise and it gets really dangerous.