Notices

Thinking rationaly

Old 06-30-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking rationaly

Hi all.checking in for some advice and support.Well my head aches haven't abated.Taking paracetamol takes the edge off,thats all.Saw my Dr Tuesday evening as an emergency as I was so frightened by the intensity and pain.Not so frightened now as panicking makes them worse.I truely feel that being sober for these last 6weeks has meant I am thinking clearly and have had many issues to think about and fear.All the previous advice from you all is sinking in and I am doing everything suggested to engage my mind and exercising my body.Managed to stay 'in the moment'while at my work today,no racing thoughts etc,and my headache eased off untill I returned home just now to the lonelyness and isolation.No bad memories to associate with my house as I only moved in 6mths ago.I guess I can't hack living on my own.My younger daughter lived with me until 12months ago.She is now 28 and independant.3 of my 4 children all live nearby and I see them often.So why Am I going under mentaly just because of living alone?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Six weeks is a long time, so congrats.

However, six weeks isn't all that long in terms of healing. Being an emotional mess is normal at this stage of the game.

What are you doing for face-to-face support for recovery?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IvanMike View Post
Six weeks is a long time, so congrats.

However, six weeks isn't all that long in terms of healing. Being an emotional mess is normal at this stage of the game.

What are you doing for face-to-face support for recovery?
Nothing yet.Can't get to my nearest AA meetings as they are to far away.I don't drive and the buses are few and far between.I have a further Drs appointment on July 8th.A scheduled one,so will talk things through with the Dr.My drs surgery doesn't see much of me as I am never ill.Darned sure I am not going to be fobbed off with a script for anti depressants though.No way.just as bad as alcohol .SR is truely helping me though.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on six weeks
Old 06-30-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by Jojay View Post
Nothing yet.Can't get to my nearest AA meetings as they are to far away.I don't drive and the buses are few and far between.I have a further Drs appointment on July 8th.A scheduled one,so will talk things through with the Dr.My drs surgery doesn't see much of me as I am never ill.Darned sure I am not going to be fobbed off with a script for anti depressants though.No way.just as bad as alcohol .SR is truely helping me though.
Any AA or NA area has a local helpline. Call them and you can get a ride to a meeting usually within 24 hours. You meet people there and get numbers so you can get rides from them from that time on.

I bet you never said that the package store was too far away.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better very soon, Jojay. Take care
Old 06-30-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jojay

like others have said early recovery is a bit opf a rollercoasting emotionally. It is for everyone, not just you, I promise.

Adapting to living alone will take some time too - maybe ringing the local AA office like IvanMike suggested could be the start towards making some new friends and sober contacts?

D
Old 06-30-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Jojay

like others have said early recovery is a bit opf a rollercoasting emotionally. It is for everyone, not just you, I promise.

Adapting to living alone will take some time too - maybe ringing the local AA office like IvanMike suggested could be the start towards making some new friends and sober contacts?

D
Hi Dee.I rang the AA helpline 2weeks ago and they put me in touch with my nearest group which is a good way off.To be honest,I couldn't cope with the traveling at the moment,what with these anxiety attacks and head aches.I was fine getting out and about for long distances untill the unset of all this.I am just keeping to my own town for a little while.I don't feel so afraid of being at home this morning!No feeling of dread when I got up just now!When my drinkimg career started 15 yrs ago,it was to get me through bad stuff and I drank heavily.These last 5yrs not so heavily but was part of my life.Recovery is hard but recover we do!I am getting there.I count my lucky stars that I found SR.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Hope you feel better very soon, Jojay. Take care
Thankyou Caramel.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Any AA or NA area has a local helpline. Call them and you can get a ride to a meeting usually within 24 hours. You meet people there and get numbers so you can get rides from them from that time on.

I bet you never said that the package store was too far away.
Thankyou Ivanmike.I rang the AA helpline 2weeks ago.I'm just not up to travelling to far at the moment,anxiety attacks and all.So you guys are stuck with me!Will definately get to AA when I am a bit better.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by Jojay View Post
Thankyou Ivanmike.I rang the AA helpline 2weeks ago.I'm just not up to travelling to far at the moment,anxiety attacks and all.So you guys are stuck with me!Will definately get to AA when I am a bit better.
I hope that works for you. I was quite anxious when I went to NA.

No offense, but your logic is like having a car that won't run and saying that you'll take your broken car to a mechanic once your car starts running again.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope that works for you. I was quite anxious when I went to NA.

No offense, but your logic is like having a car that won't run and saying that you'll take your broken car to a mechanic once your car starts running again.
You are right Ivanmike.The AA meetings nearest to me are Mondays.I will take the bus and attend.As Its what I need,I reckon feeling optimistic during the journey will keep the anxiety under control.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A bit off topic but I have to listen to which "voice" is talking to me. Where are the thoughts coming from? Also it's hard to be objective about yourself. That's when a friend, sounding board helps me. When I have a decision to make I imagine a wise or together person I know in the same situation and what would they do. I usually get an immediate answer. There's a saying something like this...you can't solve a problem on the same level that you created it."