Old 06-30-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent intro Mecanix

Hello everyone glad is roof space for this wolf to do his thing
Old 06-30-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

High 74 - 76 and lows between 58 - 61 for the next 4 days with bright sun!!!

Woot! Beach days. I am off tomorrow and Monday. I hardly need any more time off but I have no choice.

Think I am going to get the fixings for a really nice roasted corn salsa. The corn looks so beautiful I will cut if off the cob and roast it up.

K
Old 06-30-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm definitely in-
Thanks mecanix -
Congratulations SUID!!!
Glad to hear you're doing better weasel.
welcome newbies!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Here. Glad you feel hopeful Ken!!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm in! This will be my first weekend sober in a long time, and my first holiday sober. I'll be reading all your posts all weekend. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome, Beth! You'll find a lot of support on this thread!

When I made the shrink appointment, I also scheduled my, uhm, lady appointments, which were available much sooner. I also will receive the shingles vaccine. I'll pay out of pocket for it, but inspired by Ken, that's OK. My mother and a good friend also had shingles and it's something I'd like to avoid.

Originally Posted by Username7775 View Post
Hello all. Independence Day weekend for us 'Mericans, so our weekend goes through Monday the 4th. Lots of parties and festivities and fun to be had, but also lots of temptation. I'm committed to actually remembering the weekend, because I love seeing my kids watch the fireworks.
You're doing a great job, Username! I honestly believe the first couple weeks are the hardest. Tread lightly around holiday parties. Might be a good time to contemplate an early exit to safeguard your sobriety. Or alternative plans. Whatever you do, just be careful!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone;
I'm in--thanks mec and glad you are feeling better Ken

Welcome to the new riders
Old 06-30-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome Betha... stay close... if you are having trouble, post first... never pick up a drink without getting permission first - from Mecanix.

suid on shotgun, I feel pretty secure...

hope you get through this and feel better weasel - and it's FIXINS, not fixings

I didn't even realize it was the holiday weekend... I'll be working on my landscape project... wife is working all day through the weekend...

I'd like to throw out a big thank you to whomever it was posted about BLT/egg sandwiches not long ago... them are good...

Brain's tip of the day: When you open a one pound package of bacon to fry up, cook it all. Don't kid yourself by trying to save some for another day...
Old 06-30-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Welcome aboard Betha!

I'm in! Here's some cuteness to brighten the day!
Xo
Old 06-30-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

It was me who posted about egg/BLT's. You're welcome.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Congrats on shotgun SU!!
Old 06-30-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good Morning all - in!
Old 06-30-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm in! Off today to get some much needed mental rest.
I've been dealing with a new week of sobriety, husband who wants a divorce, 50 hour a week working hours and starting with a new therapist. We had our first appointment Tuesday and another phone appointment yesterday. I like her and think it's going to help. I'm going to start AA this Friday night at a newcomers meeting. My therapist runs an addiction CBT group but it's not until next Tuesday so I thought I'd jump into AA sooner. I ordered and read the whole Big Book already just to familiarize myself with the program.

I'm determined not to lose another whole week to one or two glasses of wine no matter what life throws at me the next few days!

What is "shotgun" lol
Old 06-30-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

good to see you Jane... mental rest is a good thing... stay close and post whenever you need to...

the wife was up before 9 am... eh? I asked, behind on school assignments and, work next 4 days, 4th off, then work next four... looks like I have a week to myself,

finishing up my second and a half cup of coffee, hoping the back loosens up so I can go stress it some more - it's gotta be done, it's been too may years sitting like that... I'll post an update later and a garden pic for the bee queen of chicago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riding_shotgun

the first person on the bus usually calls shotgun...

Last edited by LBrain; 06-30-2016 at 06:16 AM. Reason: what is shotgun
Old 06-30-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm in. Welcome Betha to the weekend thread.

Jane that all sounds great. I attend a beginner's AA meeting on Friday evening and find it's a great way to start my weekend. Friendly faces. Sober laughter. Proving that one can have fun without alcohol.

Ken. I hope you continue to improve.

Venecia, I have to do a lady bits appointment too. Dentist and doctor appointments. Ugh.

Mecanix! Thank you for getting us started.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Thanks Venecia. I've only got one party slated on the 3rd, and that's a (mostly) alcohol free zone at my in-laws house with a bunch of kids, so the temptation should be at a minimum.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Morning to all the familiar faces and welcome to all newcomers!

Heading up to the lake this weekend, should be a nice time. Always crazy driving through the mountains here in Guatemala, but we don't have "holiday traffic" like the States this weekend so it should be an easy drive.

My neighbor is French, he just moved here about 6 months ago and lives with his Guatemalan girlfriend. He's a sommelier (at least, he claims to be), and he was trying to tell me the other day that drinking was OK. To which I responded, "for you, maybe". He was kind of pushing the issue. In reality, I know what he's doing - he wants a drinking buddy. He's a foreigner, doesn't have a job, and he wants to kill his downtime smoking cigarettes and drinking booze with a fellow expat. I've been that guy. I was also pretty firm - after our little convo he knows I don't drink, period.

He's a decent guy but he's going to have to look elsewhere for a drinking pal.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Username, even with it being a family party with bunches of kids, I still find it a good idea to be prepared. Family birthday parties at my brother's house usually have some alcohol floating around and I've found myself wistfully watching. Eat something before you go so you don't arrive on an empty stomach. Bring your favorite nonalcoholic beverage if your parents won't have it
Old 06-30-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Safe journeys BigS. That's a drag about the neighbor. If you have anything in common other than being male ex Pats maybe suggest coffee? Sounds like someone I'd steer clear of though
Old 06-30-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Howdy all! I'm in for my first sober weekend in over a month. With all the Holiday festivities going on, hubs and I bought a boatload of fireworks for the kids and will be staying close to home. Plus, I like to be home for my pup, covering her in some blankets and making up her bed in the closet, and bacon treats, lots of bacon treats. Going to get on pinterest to find something patriotic and delicious to put in the oven, maybe make some ice cream with the kids. I'll be staying close to the boards and drinking tons of lemon water.🍋