SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   When you are scared (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/393688-when-you-scared.html)

mbrett 06-28-2016 11:07 AM

When you are scared

What do you do when your scared as hell and want to drink so bad ... knots in your stomach... that's how I feel today

Wastinglife 06-28-2016 11:11 AM

I have felt that way during anxiety attacks. Have you been drinking lately?

Anna 06-28-2016 11:12 AM

Try some deep breathing/meditating. I think it might help you. Belly Breaths - breathe in through your nose slowly allowing the air to push out your stomach. Then slowly breath out through your mouth. Try doing that a few times and it will calm you. When you are really anxious your breathing becomes shallow and this will help you to breathe more slowly and calmly.

mbrett 06-28-2016 11:34 AM

Gonna try the breathing... I have been on this site for years and just can't get it for some reason

IvanMike 06-28-2016 12:05 PM

Breathing is good. I need to remember that a bit more often when I get worked up.

I call my sponsor or another addict in recovery.

They call them "meetings" because that's where you "meet" the people who will save your life. - I didn't make that up, but I have personal experience that is is true.

Soberwolf 06-28-2016 12:45 PM

Some good exercises here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-thread.html

It's going to be ok lean on us if talking helps send a pm friend

aasharon90 06-28-2016 01:16 PM

I learned and memorized the
Serenity Prayer when I entered
recovery 25 yrs ago and said it
and still say it many times to calm
me down.

Knowing that we have Doctors we
can use for for our health and whatever
ails us while being entirely honest with
them about our addiction and recovery
so that they can help us live a better
quality of life while reaching deep
within our hearts and soul asking
for help from Above for guidance,
protection while traveling along
our recovery journey day after day.

We are meant to enjoy life to the
fullest in recovery and learning or
educating ourselves about our
options in life will benefit us for
the long run.

Never hesitate to ask for help
in what you need because no
one has to go thru anything alone
or by ourselves in life again. :)

mbrett 06-28-2016 01:23 PM

Gonna read all the links ... thank you all for replying

Dee74 06-28-2016 04:00 PM

Hoping you feel a little better now mbrett :)

D

mbrett 06-28-2016 04:31 PM

Thank you all kindly ... I went for a walk and sat outside for a bit ... just trying to be normal... I wish everyone on this SR site the very best because I'm a mess

MythOfSisyphus 06-28-2016 11:27 PM

Normal is hard! I'm not even sure there's a reason to be "normal" so long as you can be sober.:grouphug:

Delilah1 06-28-2016 11:49 PM

Going for walks, yoga, and breathing helps me. There is a free app called My Calm Beat, and it shows you how to breathe in and out. Another one is the square breathing: breathe in for four, hold for four, breathe out for four and repeat four times.

If the anxiety is really bad talk to your doctor.:-)

Jojay 06-28-2016 11:50 PM

Hi mbrett take recovery one day at a time.No,drinking will not help that feeling of fear.We all go through the feelings of fear and many of us are still in its grip.Stay close to SR.You will have the most amazing support and help.Take care.

entropy1964 06-29-2016 05:33 AM

Are you still drinking Brett?

mbrett 06-29-2016 11:59 AM

No flick I'm not ... scared like many people I guess but off the crap so far ... thank you for your reply ... just scared cuz my life is a mess ... or maybe my head and thinking is a mess

mbrett 06-29-2016 12:09 PM

Sorry Frick

Soberwolf 06-29-2016 12:21 PM

Good job Mbrett

Acheleus 06-29-2016 01:12 PM

When I am scared I try to exercise or listen to music. Sometimes I just have to get used to being afraid instead of trying to run from it. I hope you feel better.

IvanMike 06-29-2016 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mbrett (Post 6021190)
No flick I'm not ... scared like many people I guess but off the crap so far ... thank you for your reply ... just scared cuz my life is a mess ... or maybe my head and thinking is a mess

The good news is that you can fix all that with help.

I didn't think that was true either. - I was wrong.

tomsteve 06-29-2016 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by IvanMike (Post 6021270)
The good news is that you can fix all that with help.

I didn't think that was true either. - I was wrong.

ditto and AMEN for solutions!