Notices

In need of help

Old 06-28-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In need of help

Alcohol is ruining my life and I can no longer control myself. I've gone to great lengths to drink and it's making me loose everything. I've lost one family and am on the verge of loosing my wife and kids for good. I've gone to AA taken Antabuse and nothing is working for me.

I feel so much guilt and remorse for what I put my family through. My wife has stood by me through so much and deserves so much better. I know I have the potential to be a great guy if I can just stop drinking.

I know I need a support group so here I am. I know I need to get into AA and find my higher power once again. I'm tired of this life and feel trapped. I don't want to drink but I do and I don't know why or how to stop myself. I wish there were a cure to this disease. I feel if I don't stop I will end up in jail or dead. I need an intervention in my life and any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Ozzy welcome to a excellent place for recovery full of great advice, community support & wisdom in abundance

Nice to meet you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 06-28-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can quit. Anyone who wants it can do it.

Make the decision today. Don't pick up another drink, no matter what.

Do what it takes - before things get worse.

We are always here, I hope you keep talking to us. We understand.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I completely relate. The only way to stop is to stop....there is no magic. If you need help with detox can you consider a detox center or even rehab?
Old 06-28-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ozzy,

I hope you decide to stop drinking for good. You need to find a plan that works for you on a daily basis. Have faith that you can do this.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Ozzy, you can do it and if AA is not your thing try other recovery programs AA is not medically sound recovery imo it is more the fellowship and then you fall in line in the program.
All recovery programs work if you want them to, find one that works for you or use more than one but you have to want to be sober.

good luck we are here for you
Old 06-28-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Start putting others' wellbeing ahead of your own, or sign your own death warrant."

at least that's what they told to me. Or hang out and moan about your own sorry personal state of affairs as we normally prefer to do, because that's all we relly care about, although we're usually careful to hide that from others...

The alcoholic obsession is merciless. Self administered embalming fluid, in my case i think.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You Can Do This

Originally Posted by Ozzy619 View Post
Alcohol is ruining my life and I can no longer control myself. I've gone to great lengths to drink and it's making me loose everything. I've lost one family and am on the verge of loosing my wife and kids for good
My friend, posting to this forum is good sign you are ready to make changes in your life. Whatever your schedule is, this is an easy and accessible way to help reinforce your convictions and I commend you for posting after more than likely subsequent time spent reading; like I and many others have done.

I have been back and forth myself between good times and self destructive behavior and I tell you man, it all really comes down to what do you want to love more? Your life and family or the need to get blasted and put it all off while it slowly kills your health and inner self.

My own experiences have brought me to the conclusion that I use alcohol like a crutch to deal with shiat I just don't want to handle at the moment. Alcohol is addictive, like smoking, so the more we do it, the more we need it. The problem is, the booze stops us from being the best we can be, destroys following days and relationships depending on who you are and just becomes a huge f'n debilitating mess for everyone. There is no a good scenario that comes from alcohol abuse.

Whether or not you want it in your life at all, doesn't really matter. What matters is the damage being done is imminent and it needs to stop. If you have been drinking for a long period of time, then it's time to get honest with your doctor; because those bad stories you read about and hear about people quitting cold turkey are true.

Go through many of the posts from many of the people on this forum and you will find words and thoughts from those who relate. The last thing anyone needs is for someone to feel alone in their struggle and is why support in all forms is critical.

My advice to you is to focus on why you feel the need to drink and what it does for you. Think about the reasons behind why you crack the bottle to begin with and what emotions or responsibilities are you trying to avoid while hammered. I believe understanding why we do things is the key to overcoming most problems. However, like all addictions both mental and physical, you can be free of it.

Knowing yourself, why you drink and the consequences of allowing it to happen will help you make consistently positive choices you and your family will benefit from.

One thing I can assure you of is, when you decide to safely quit and face your true intentions; everything will be better and easier with each passing day.

Best,
Old 06-28-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program." You can do it! Addiction is a life and death disease, but the program of Alcoholics Anonymous has gave me the tools to live a sober lifestyle!
Old 06-28-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

working the program of AA changed me from a hopeless,helpless,useless, worthless POS into an active productive member of society.
with the added benefit of removing the obsession to drink.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Join the June class here on SR. The support has been overwhelming & it has helped keep me accountable. You can do this!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello, Ozzy. You posted here and that's a start. Have you ever considered rehab? I balked for years, but when I finally went (to a place of my choice) I stopped drinking. I know it sounds weird, but I look back with fondness at those days. I learned so much. At least it would provide a starting point for you.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you join us, Ozzy.

I drank for 30 yrs. In the end, it had completely taken over my life. What had once been fun & relaxing brought me nothing but misery, uncertainty, & danger. I'm very glad you're taking a hard look at what it's doing to your life. You can get free, Ozzy.