Notices

The economy making me want to pickup a drink

Old 06-27-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy The economy making me want to pickup a drink

Stopped drinking about 8 days now, I feel good. Thing is this brexit vote is really screwing up the stock markets. I have a European investment that is now tanking badly . I am really kicking myself for not selling before the brexit vote, believing what they said on the news. That how they would vote to stay in the EU, but that was wrong. Now I am feeling the pain. I really would not like to drink, but watching the money go down sucks.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There will always be a reason that may make you want to pick up a drink. Always. None of them are ever good enough.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drinking isn't a cure for how the Stock Market tanking affects me, but the 12 Steps of AA are a DEFINITE cure for any negative effects it may have on my Mental, Emotional, and Spiritual well being.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking isn't going to stop the stock market from tanking if that's what's happening with your stock. Stay sober and maybe you can find a way to re-invest and recoup some of your losses.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Whether you drink or not is not going to make a darn bit of different what the market does. But it sure will make a difference to you. Keep the things you can control insight and don't dwell on those you can't.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know what you mean - I'm from the UK and I didn't realise how much the Brexit would make me want to go out and black it out from my mind. On Saturday I did exactly that, ended up in A&E and had my phone and purse stolen. My fault of course. My word of advice would be - DON'T. Nothing changes. The UK economy massively sucks at the moment but I think it's the EU, Britain and rest of the world reeling from the shock of something that may have been on the cards, but none of us *actually* thought would happen. I'm sad to see it happen in my lifetime - but things will recover. The world is still turning and although you have investments affected, the biggest investment you have in this world is your health, so don't compromise that.

Over the coming months things will change and level out - and we can't control any of it. So as my grandfather told me, 'you die if you worry and you die if you don't worry.... so why worry?' If you're like me that worry turns to anxiety and anxiety makes me reach for the bottle.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, but focus on your recovery and that too, like the economy will find a way to recover. Universal law and all that take care
Old 06-27-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The thing about the stock market? It goes up and down...period. Always has always will. If you're in for the long haul, just hang on. If you're a day trader then, well, maybe consider a new occupation . I look at this as a great time to buy! At least in the US. The market hates uncertainty...and assuming the whole EU doesn't dissolve (doubtful) things will stabilize. We knew 2016 was going to be rough....even without the Brexit. Just close your eyes....

And drinking? That will get you drunk but it won't change the stock market.
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by whopper View Post
I really would not like to drink, but watching the money go down sucks.
A lot of things in life "suck", but drinking only makes them "suck" more. Then you'll be mad and drunk instead of just mad.
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

My investments have taken a hit too .

I won't be drawing on them until retirement so i've got a lot of time to save more and have compounding work it's magic .

Life happens , happiness , health and wealth are gained and lost all the time through no fault of our own .

Alcoholism is just the pit's though and we can do something about that

Stay strong , m
Old 06-27-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, my investments have taken a hit too. But, taking a drink won't help the situation. Better to remain clear headed to react to changes. On any given day, a circumstance may make a drink sound tempting, remember it is the addiction "speaking". It wants the alcohol, drug or whatever. Be calm, don't act on the thought, don't give the thought power. Let the thought evaporate, it is a only a thought, let it go.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i'm in the UK. i voted to remain in the EU. i'm very nervous about the future, especially as i am on disability benefits.

i can't change a thing if i am drunk. i may not be able to change it sober, but i can at least try. at the very least, i will live to see what happens next.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on day 8 drinking solves nothing but just adds tons to the problem
Old 06-27-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

So are you telling me that if you get loaded the stock market will go up and the economy will improve?

We get loaded because we want to get loaded. Any excuse will do.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I really would not like to drink, but watching the money go down sucks.

then quit watching. we should not WATCH our investments every day anyways.....markets are by their nature VOLATILE. ask me how my retirement accounts were looking a few years ago, when the US market was in the toilet......

ask me about how nice it felt when after a year as a homeowner WITH equity, i was suddenly $100,000 UNDER water.

happy to report today that my retirement accounts are healthy and robust and my home value and mortgage almost match again!!!

sorry bub, but you'll have to come up with a better EXCUSE to get past us cynics...........
Old 06-27-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Perhaps some gratitude that you could afford to buy shares in the first place?

Globally, 2.8 billion people live on less than $2 a day.....and their stock ain't rising anytime soon, Brexit or no Brexit.

Wish you well
Old 06-27-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The economy isn't making you drink. It's just an excuse you'd like to use to drink. I suggest you stay sober and stop worrying so much about forces you can't control.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

All drinking will do is cause more money to swirl away out of pocket. The markets will do what the markets will do. Chances are, they'll stabilize at some point. However, the money you spend on alcohol won't be coming back to you.

Ditto what everyone else said.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand very well how fear leads to thoughts of drinking, but as others have said, drinking won't salve that fear.

Sometimes I think you just have to hold your nerve with investments.

I have faith that your European stocks will soon be on the rise again once things settle down.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Drinking for me only makes bad matters worse.

Once we realize that we are heading down the Recovery Road.

Mountainman
Old 06-27-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I spent a decent chunk of my career as an investment rep. Unless you plan to actually liquidate your accounts and spend your money, don't stress over it. You will only make a paper loss a reality if you sell now. Oh, and people drink regardless of the market - to celebrate or drown sorrows. Doesn't change a thing, but it will make your wallet lighter.