Notices

The economy making me want to pickup a drink

Old 06-27-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

We know there is always an occasion to drink. That kind of thinking brought us here.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've lost around $6,000 in the last two days-hey it's a lot to me. It's not the crash of 08. Try spreading your investments around a bit. I think ETE is still a good buy(disclosure 7.50 pps) . I have a friend in the gold mining business says NEM and ABX are probably good buys. Sorry it bugs me also. I do feel some of your pain. I'm not a trader so I look at crashs as 1/2 price cheese burgers.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think this is a timely topic for the SR board because we, as a group, have a history of choosing alcohol during the hard times, and the Brexit repercussions are challenging indeed. Learning other coping strategies is crucial in dealing with anxiety - over whatever - but in this case is financial insecurity and upheaval.

I've lost money this week too, and am watching both closely and helplessly, so I totally understand your fear, Whopper. We can not let world events, community events or home events pull us away from sobriety. You need good health to move forward and live a positive life. You don't need the effects of alcohol to hinder your ability to take on the hard stuff.

Carry on Whopper. You're doing great! You've gotten through the very difficult first week. Congratulations! Come here to share your freak outs over whatever's going on, just don't pick up a drink.

On a side note, I notice that there are plenty of members on SR from the UK. I hope you are doing well, and that things get sorted out very soon.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I took it and by-passed the liquor store yesterday on my way home. Another day drink free! Markets seem to have stop their free fall today, so it is a good thing I didn't panic drink yesterday.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i'm really glad you didn't drink.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Whopper, I'm glad you didn't "panic drink" too, because that would not have helped anything, and would have hurt you. Maybe you can add a piece to your sobriety plan that speaks to what you will do when stressed by X,Y,Z so you can be more ready next time something comes up? Ironically, for me, I power through the challenging stuff, but run into more trouble of wanting a drink during a quiet, relaxing, end-of-a-hard-day kind of time. Some people have to be more vigilant during celebrations or with traditions. At first, as I'm sure you know by now, everything is a trigger. That gets way better! You are doing really well to name what makes you think of drinking...then shut it down. Keep it up!