Notices

Withdrawls

Old 06-27-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawls

I'm hoping someone can give me advice on stopping drinking cold turkey. I can't go into rehab because I have a new job I started today. Right now the tremors are so bad, it's an awful feeling. Can anyone else let me know if they've been able to get through this without medical supervision? Thanks
Old 06-27-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawing from alcohol is unpredictable and if you are having tremors it's probably a good thing to talk to your dr or go to an ER. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous. Please take care of yourself.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank for 40 years and did not need detox time in rehab when I quit, but for some people it can be life-threatening. I did almost die from my Blood Pressure hitting almost Stroke level, and had to go to the Emergency Room, then followed up with my Doc putting me on Blood Pressure meds. It is best you see a Doc, even if you don't do the time in a detox ward.

I do know how many, many people, including me, dealt with the life-gut-mental-emotional trauma, which can go on for an extended amount of time. Get involved in AA, and share what is REALLY going on inside of you, and LET SOME PEOPLE HELP.

You can absolutely get the help you will need, and you can do it while involved in your day-to-day schedule. It worked for me, and I drank for 40 years, then struggled, gut-wrenching-face-in-the-pavemet struggling, while working full time.

RDBplus3 - Now Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U can B 2
Old 06-27-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you can't see a doctor, can you have someone with you in case you need help?
Old 06-27-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is outpatient detox an option for you at all? I would recommend seeing a doctor if you're getting tremors.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 06-27-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I did, but gawd did it suck. Two days of the shakes, four nights of night-sweats, headaches everyday, crippling anxiety (that I'm still dealing with), abnormal eating habits, muscle and joint pain, the works. I'm just now approaching what I would consider "normal" (although the brain fog has yet to completely lift).

I couldn't get medical help (because reasons), but if you can, you should.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are so many factors that I don't think anyone could accurately tell you whether you could do it cold turkey without really dangerous side effects. I am only on day 8 and I had a couple of very difficult nights that scared the hell our of me, but I had my husband by my side bringing my ice water and/or aspirin and or heating pads when I was shivering uncontrollably. Please see a very recent post by a newcomer named "Ellesky". I just read it and it is very scary.

I agree with what someone said previously. You need to see a doctor, come completely clean and see if you can arrange something on an outpatient basis.

I didn't take it as seriously as I should have and I was lucky. Please protect yourself.