Notices

6 months sober

Old 06-26-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by NewJosh View Post
So, I'm 6 months sober. The urge is still there, underneath. I'd love a drink right now. But I won't drink. I actually do enjoy being sober. My life can count now. I can be useful. I can be helpful.
This is what it's all about for me. Thank you for sharing your story with us, NewJosh. Congrats on 6 months and 11 days. I look forward to continuing to walk this path of recovery with you.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Nice post. I especially like the part were you talk about needing to relearn how to do everything after quitting alcohol. There are still some hobbies that I used to do while drinking that just don't seem to interest me anymore. Playing guitar for example. Ever since I gave up booze I haven't played guitar. I suppose my interests changed and that I changed overall as a person. Or maybe without the booze I realized how lousy I was after all :P
Old 06-26-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congratulations and very inspirational post for me. I'm on 118 days. Keep going brother!

What SEALs books are you reading, btw?
Old 06-26-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redoplease View Post
Great post!!! Well said. Going to look up the books you are talking about. Sound interesting. Thank you
I'd highly recommend Extreme Owmership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. Jocko also has an EXTREMELY motivating podcast called Jocko Podcast.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juppe View Post
Nice post. I especially like the part were you talk about needing to relearn how to do everything after quitting alcohol. There are still some hobbies that I used to do while drinking that just don't seem to interest me anymore. Playing guitar for example. Ever since I gave up booze I haven't played guitar. I suppose my interests changed and that I changed overall as a person. Or maybe without the booze I realized how lousy I was after all :P
One thing I really loved to do was lock myself up in my apartment, alone, drink and binge watch a good tv show (Sopranos, Deadwood, Band of Brothers, etc). Start drinking and watching at around 11am and go to bed around midnight good and drunk.

When I stopped drinking I couldn't watch tv. I literally could do nothing but drink green tea and read non fiction. Slowly and surely, though, all of my hobbies have returned. I play more guitar now than I did when I drank.

I'm currently making some homemade stew and watching a Game Of Thrones marathon. Alcohol free
Old 06-26-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leezer View Post
Congratulations and very inspirational post for me. I'm on 118 days. Keep going brother!

What SEALs books are you reading, btw?
Two that I'd highly recommend are Resilence, by Eric Greitens and Extreme Ownership, by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. I also read Living With A Seal, by Jesse Itzler. It's a little more light hearted and geared towards fitness, but still highly motivational.

I listen to a weekly podcast by ex SEAL Jocko Willink called Jocko Podcast, also. Words cannot convey the motivation and wisdom I gain from that show. It's all about personal responsibility and leans heavily on his experiences as an Seal officer and historical warriors. Applying hard earned lessons to every aspect of your life. I often listen to each podcast several times throughout the week. His motto is "Discipline equals freedom". I listen on iTunes, but you can also watch/listen via YouTube. 100% free.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congratulations NewJosh and thank you for your inspiring post.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

addiction as the enemy

Great post 6 months! Learned more helpful ideas myself, especially thinking of this addiction as the enemy that wants us dead! Thank you for taking the time to write all of this information and sharing it. Bless you.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great post NewJosh. Me 6 months too. Congratulations on YOUR 6 months.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wonderful! Congrats