Notices

Advice needed

Old 06-25-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Advice needed

Hello all,

I am new to this site. I have been in and out of the rooms since 2008. Am getting divorced after a 15 year relationship and it sent me on a pretty harsh bender.

I am on day 5 of an outpatient medical detox, and am joining an IOP after that. I know the rooms well, and how to work that program.

Just looking for what else worked for people. I truly want to get it this time. Having gross tremors and sweats all the time is not how I want to live.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jhuber this site is excellent for recovery have you thought about building a plan to stay sober?
Old 06-25-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

glad yer here.
imo sayin you've been in and out of the rooms since 2008 indicates them relapse things happening.
if that's the case,imo, you either don't know how to work the program or stopped living it.
so maybe get into action with THE program and stop using YOUR program?
Old 06-25-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
glad yer here.
imo sayin you've been in and out of the rooms since 2008 indicates them relapse things happening.
if that's the case,imo, you either don't know how to work the program or stopped living it.
so maybe get into action with THE program and stop using YOUR program?
I was never really in the program for myself. I wanted to save my marriage. This time I am in it for me. I say I know how to work the program, because it is pretty simple. Get a home group, get a sponsor, work the steps, build a support network, give back.

I have a home group and a sponsor and am the coffee maker. I need to build a stronger support network.

Just curious what else worked for people.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Work those steps like it's life or death.....
Old 06-25-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jhuber2779 View Post
I was never really in the program for myself. I wanted to save my marriage. This time I am in it for me. I say I know how to work the program, because it is pretty simple. Get a home group, get a sponsor, work the steps, build a support network, give back.

I have a home group and a sponsor and am the coffee maker. I need to build a stronger support network.

Just curious what else worked for people.
good on ya for seeing the problem and getting into the solution and for makin coffee!

what worked for me was working the program. I have recovered from the seemingly hopeless state of mind and body and have had ALL of the promises of the program happen in my life.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What helped me get sober was weekly counseling sessions and daily visits here. I no longer see the counselor but still come here every day.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Coming here every day in the early days of sobriety. This forum changed my life. Also not necessarily in this order, mindfulness, dog walking, AVRT, AA, Counselling, reading every book I could get my hands on related to alcohol, people's stories, pop psychology books, buddhism, drinking tons of herbal tea, changing jobs, starting a band, finishing my degree off, going vegan... basically just re-engaging with my old life and being more authentic to myself. Glad you are here
Old 06-26-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

They beat me to it.

Actually working the program/steps worked for me.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used books in the first couple of years which really helped me to find my purpose in life and to get through the shame and guilt. I think the main thing is that you find what works for you.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Active participation here has worked for me. Whether I'm asking for help or helping others, it's keeping me sober one day at a time.

Welcome to SR, Jhuber2779, and I hope you'll make this site a part of your recovery plan. Wishing you the best today...
Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AA/12 Steps didn't do it for me. Too many pat phrases and it just didn't make sense. I found an inpatient rehab that wasn't 12 steps. There were weekly online meetings after I left along with counseling. We have those meetings every Monday for the first year. That and this board are the only things I do to maintain sobriety, I haven't had a drink since before rehab and have been sober for 8 months. Best of luck to you...and fyi, Dunkin' Donuts is the best coffee out of the grocery brands!!
Old 06-26-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No, not alone, Icarus2

Hello Jhuber, am new to this site. I've got a history as long as the great b reef with alcohol. My ex/stillwife is proceeding with a divorce, married 30 years. Kind of sucks. I empathise. Best I can do is suggest keep reading this stuff, keep contributing. If at all a help- go see a counsellor or something. They might not be the Yoda of all knowledge, but sometimes an impartial professional is good to dump all of those stress feelings and emotions on. I am 3 months sober, first time that long with out booze in about 25 years. Going to meetings and spending any time I would otherwise fins boring by reading/sharing online helps me not to relapse. I do not have much in the way of friends and my family do not want to know me- so this stuff helps- a lot. So my thoughts go with you, remember- we are not alone...