Notices

Bad thoughts.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Bad thoughts.

Here is Friday and my brain keeps fantasizing about drinking. You can do it - life is going so much better now - it will be fun - you deserve it - blah blah FREAKING blah - all lies.

It's like every moment I'm not consciously trying to focus on something else, by brain is right back there. And the more I try and focus on something else, of course, the more the thoughts creep in.

Suggestions for this annoying mental chatter???
Old 06-24-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Continue to find ways to distract yourself from the desire to drink. I don't know much about cravings or an alcoholic voice, but from what others have shared distraction is your greatest asset in fighting that.

What are other activities that you like to do that don't involve drinking? Personally I like working out, riding my bike, hanging with friends, playing video games, watching a good movie, etc.

I don't know how early you are in your sobriety, but I hear a lot of people go through what you're thinking right now. Stay focused on your desire to stay sober and I am certain positive outcomes will arise.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I distract distract distract. If I'm sitting, I start moving. In the beginning I washed a lot of dishes by hand. I had projects I got excited about that I worked on. Jigsaw puzzles which keep your eyes and hands busy work too.

I couldn't listen to that voice that told me I was better, why not? Or that I'd done so well, I deserved a drink or ten. Because do I actually deserve the pain that I'd inflict on myself were I to drink again? Autocorrect just tried to insert "drunk" for drink there. Inflict on myself were I to drunk again. And that's what would happen if I picked up "a" drink.

It gets easier to do battle against the thoughts as time goes on. In the beginning, just hang in there. Join the weekenders support thread here for some chatter.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there
You're just a couple weeks sober right? It takes time to retrain the brain. I try to keep myself very busy....really taking extra effort into planning my time out, especially during drinking hours (which frankly can be anytime for me....strangely my alcohol cravings are strongest in the morning....sick!). Keep busy, find projects. If you're home and 'bored' try puzzles, adult coloring books (no they aren't naughty pics....that's what I thought at first ), clean, organize.

I know for me at only 51 days, laying low is ok. Just letting myself relax. Took me a long time to get here, gonna take a while to get out.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't look at drinking as something you can't do, rather look at it as something you're free from doing.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good advice here. The Friday evenings kicked me for awhile but over time it went away. For me I decided the only way to get over it is through it...meaning that I needed to tough it out...find things to keep me busy. And looking at your drinking as something you don't do vs. can't do is key. Your Saturday and Sunday mornings will become wonderful and peaceful as you wake up sober
Old 06-24-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Right there with everyone else, distraction is key! Can you think of a movie you've been wanting to watch that you can rent?
Old 06-24-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Least. Look at drinking as something you choose to not do, not something you can't do.

Make lifestyle changes that support your recovery.

Hang in there, it's worth the effort.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I distract distract distract. If I'm sitting, I start moving. In the beginning I washed a lot of dishes by hand. I had projects I got excited about that I worked on. Jigsaw puzzles which keep your eyes and hands busy work too.

I couldn't listen to that voice that told me I was better, why not? Or that I'd done so well, I deserved a drink or ten. Because do I actually deserve the pain that I'd inflict on myself were I to drink again? Autocorrect just tried to insert "drunk" for drink there. Inflict on myself were I to drunk again. And that's what would happen if I picked up "a" drink.

It gets easier to do battle against the thoughts as time goes on. In the beginning, just hang in there. Join the weekenders support thread here for some chatter.
Ruby is a wise member of our community. Take her words to heart.

Bear this in mind: When you think you "deserve" to be drinking, remember that you deserve better.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One "trick" that I've used when I'm getting bombarded with negative thoughts is just to think to myself, "ok brain, you just go ahead and think whatever stupid things you want, but I'm going to watch you while you do it. Go!" Then I just sit and observe. Often, this shuts them up for awhile. Now I'm not saying you won't have to do this a hundred times...
but observing my thoughts this way and seeing them as essentially no different from the dreams I have at night has tended, over time, to diminish their importance, and their influence over me.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Don't look at drinking as something you can't do, rather look at it as something you're free from doing.
Now that's a great way to look at it.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I go on the internet, pick a subject that intrigues me and find some documentaries or presentations on it. Keeps me busy. My latest is this group of people that seem to think the earth is flat. And they make a compelling argument. It currently has my brain bent into a pretzel!