Notices

Drinking just to function

Old 06-24-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking just to function

This is where I'm at, I know I want better, just don't know how to do it. Detoxing is going to be terrible. I'm not getting drunk anymore, just drinking to function, I had a trip the other day where I had no way or excuse to drink in the morning. The drive home was awful, I'm going to stop, but this is going to be a jacked up weekend. Not looking for sympathy, just getting it out there
Old 06-24-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on the decision to quit. Depending on how much you drank medical detox might be the safer route for you. Stick close to here and take it a day at a time.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

It's best to talk to your dr. Detox can be deadly, your dr can also prescribe meds that make it safer and less awful.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate. Is there an option for you to medically detox, by going to the ER or contacting a clinic associated with your hospital?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To do any kind of medical detox means coming clean about drinking a again, I'm sacred of what I'll lose. I just wish there was a clear path
Old 06-24-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe consider a harm-reduction model to drinking rather than going cold turkey through a detox?

I have never been through a detox before and can't say I ever drank to function, but I can only imagine how much of a toll it can take on a person. Be well and maybe consider seeing a doctor for help with this. I know you don't want to have to come out clean about drinking again but I am sure there are a lot of other people who have been through your predicament. Relapse isn't uncommon and you're not any less of a good person for having had it happen.

I hope you find a good path and are able to continue with the positive choices.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again MovingForward

Sorry you're struggling so much.

If you're worried about detox, and you're drinking to function, the only responsible advice is to go see your Dr.

I understand about coming clean and how scary that is.

Chances are people already know. If they don't, you're really running the risk of a health emergency sooner or later, and then everyone will know anyway?

D
Old 06-24-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're right Dee, I'm running by the skin of my teeth. My trip home the other day really opened my eyes to where I'm at. I can't even go a few hours at this point, thought I'd make it into work today, maybe drink at lunch to hold it off and didn't even do that. God I don't want to do this again, doctors are sick of me, I owe so much to the ER, I don't know where to turn
Old 06-24-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was in the same state when I decided to quit, MovingForward. In fact, I was drinking all day - even at work. It was a nightmare. I was so glad to say goodbye and get free of it. You sound determined to do it this time - it really would be best to see your dr - as the others have said. They should want to help you & not be judgmental.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doctors first - then a recovery plan?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 06-24-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Doctor first, then a plan. I guess it's a start
Old 06-25-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

how are you today movingforward?
Old 06-26-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm suffering as I knew I would, hoping nothing terrible happens. I've managed to hold down food after throwing up most of the night. Sleep was out of the question so I'm exhausted but I have to get through this. And it has to be the last time.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you see a Dr or decide not to, MovingForward?

D
Old 06-26-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MovingForward1 View Post
This is where I'm at, I know I want better, just don't know how to do it. Detoxing is going to be terrible. I'm not getting drunk anymore, just drinking to function, I had a trip the other day where I had no way or excuse to drink in the morning. The drive home was awful, I'm going to stop, but this is going to be a jacked up weekend. Not looking for sympathy, just getting it out there
I was where you seem to be now. I too was having a few drinks in the morning to start the day. I also felt burned out all the time.

One of the first things I noticed after getting sober was how that feeling of being burned out was gone. Granted I wasn't jumping up and down with joy but I wasn't always so tired.

It never dawned on me that maybe it was my drinking that made me so exhausted. It`s one thing to drink heavy and bounce back while in your early 20`s but as you get older forget it.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Skipping the Dr for now but will get assistance if it gets worse. I dragged out what I had left to the point of mostly forcing it down. I'm only at about 15 hours so I know I don't have anything to look forward for a while.

Thanks for the replies and support.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thinking of you....call the docs or go to the ER if you get a little wobbly!...

Is there someone there with you that is aware that you are in withdrawal?
Old 06-26-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No one here, I've pretty well worn out all my help when it comes to detoxing. I'm most worried about long term damage and I know I need to get checked out.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

MovingForward, stay safe and get to the ER if you feel wobbly...you only have to do this once. Withdraw safety first and foremost. Take care.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Moving Forward. There will be time to sort out lots of things LATER on, but for now, focus on getting through your withdrawals. There are many of us here who have been exactly where you are right now and understand what you're going through. And I'd bet that most would tell you one thing: don't give up on yourself - no matter how crappy you feel.

Rooting for you, my friend.