Notices

Fun as a foreign concept in early recovery

Old 06-24-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Fun as a foreign concept in early recovery

My sobriety clock tells me I have been sober for 42 days, 20 hours and 30 minutes. It has been fun, except when I was supposed to be having fun.

Living, working, being sober is wonderful...except at parties. Social occasions are hard work, boring and long. Minutes feel like hours.

I hope it gets better.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does take some lifestyle changes. It took me many months before I felt comfortable in social situations where people were drinking.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome nice to meet you
Old 06-24-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me many months. I remember trying to beg out of being in my sister's wedding 11 months into sobriety. Things like that were pure torture.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It does get better, but you can help make sure it does by practicing gratitude every day. Find at least one thing/event/person you are grateful for. Take time to count your blessings. It will give you a more positive attitude.

Congrats on 42 days sober! That's something to be grateful for.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Darwinia

Like Anna it took me a long time to feel comfortable in a social situation sober. I didn't even go to parties for much of the first year.

watching other people get drunk is not much fun. My social outings are usually smaller and more intimate these days, less about booze and more about the company.

You will learn to be sociable and you'll learn to enjoy social activities - but don;lt bite off too much too soon
Old 06-24-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 42 days.

Could it be that the social situations are simply boring? Maybe ya didn't notice before because you were drinking?
Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Frickafrap233 I think you are absolutely correct.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Congrats on 42 days.

Could it be that the social situations are simply boring? Maybe ya didn't notice before because you were drinking?
Bingo.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Congrats on 42 days.

^^^This is so true!
Old 06-25-2016, 11:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sober style

Hi Darwinia. 42 days is great, wtg!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to love sitting in the pub 'talking the bollox' as my friend Dave used to call it. I'd happily use every waking hour for just that. Now I can last and hour if others are still mostly sober and half hour if they're all drunk, then I need to get outta that place! Weddings and the like have, surprising, been okay. What I never appreciated before, if that some people don't drink at all at weddings (just out of choice ) and some people choose to only have a couple then go on soft drinks. Weird huh! Who'd have thunk it? Grateful for that now though, because at those kind of events there are always some people to chat to. There's also enough people there that I can grab a sanity break without being missed for an hour or so. Generally parties though, esp with my old drinking crowd are hideous to be at and I avoid them at all costs. I do still like going to hear live music though, so if there's a band on, or a good meal, then I'm in - for a few hours anyway.

Now I've accepted what my new comfort levels are, and got better at developing exit plans, and stopped being fearful of telling people I don't want to go, things have got easier. It does take a while though. You'll find your zone soon.