Notices

Trying to cheer up

Old 06-24-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to cheer up

Hi all.A massive thankyou to everyone who posted replies to my thread on my anxiety,which I posted yesterday .I was so frightened but now I know that it happens during early alcohol recovery I am using some of the coping tips suggested.I drank quite heavily for 15years,alone at home mostly.After researching recovery etc,guess It will take a little while to have a feeling of well-being.5weeks sober and no cravings for drink.Just a craving to feel happy!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give yourself time Jojay

I think we underestimate sometimes the effect all those years of drinking have on our psyche. You may feel a little up and down for a while but everything will work out in the end

D
Old 06-24-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou Dee.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jojay -- I totally relate to your quest for "happy" sobriety! My physical cravings for alcohol are gone after 6.5 weeks, and I'm still waiting for the instant gratification of feeling wonderful, hopeful, optimistic, fabulous...quickly learning it doesn't just happen because I'm sober.

Dee is right: we're forgetting how much psychological damage we've done to ourselves over the years. It's easy to monitor the physical aspect, and see improvement; I suspect the mental recovery will take quite a bit longer...just more reason to stay sober and look forward to "more happy" down the road! Thanks for your post -- Arp
Old 06-24-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What you are experiencing right now is not how you will feel in sobriety...you're in transition, so your emotions are all over the place.

Give it time for your brain chemistry to normalize. So many times I've been sober for a month or two, decided I was still miserable, so I might as well drink. I never gave it a chance.

Give it, and yourself, a chance.

Sending you a hug.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good going Jojay do you Journal or write gratitude lists
Old 06-24-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh View Post
Welcome, Jojay -- I totally relate to your quest for "happy" sobriety! My physical cravings for alcohol are gone after 6.5 weeks, and I'm still waiting for the instant gratification of feeling wonderful, hopeful, optimistic, fabulous...quickly learning it doesn't just happen because I'm sober.

Dee is right: we're forgetting how much psychological damage we've done to ourselves over the years. It's easy to monitor the physical aspect, and see improvement; I suspect the mental recovery will take quite a bit longer...just more reason to stay sober and look forward to "more happy" down the road! Thanks for your post -- Arp
Thankyou Arp.I will take recovery a day at a time.And try replacing miserable thoughts with good ones.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Good going Jojay do you Journal or write gratitude lists
Hi soberwolfe.No I don't journal or make gratitude lists as yet.Will give these a go.Sorry for being so full of self pity in my threads.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jojay, don't apologize for being full of self pity. I wasn't any different. It does get better in time. My emotions were ragged and all over the place in the beginning. Gradually they evened out. I still have ups and downs but I know and trust they will pass.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job Jojay. Keep it going.