Notices

Im stopping today

Old 06-23-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im stopping today

Hello,

Im new to the forums. This is my first post, actually.

I hope this is the correct area to post in!

I have been drinking a lot by my standards lately. Progressively more and more as the months go on and I'm ready to stop. I don't really go over more than 7 beers in a day, but is that enough to withdrawal from? I guess the real reason I'm posting here is because I need some sort of support right now. I know that I'm killing myself the longer this goes on and I'm just scared. Sometimes I feel like its not even me who walks into the liquor store and buys a six pack. At times I tell myself "today I'm not drinking" and then by 2:30pm I have a 6 pack in my car headed home. Sometimes its such an impulse and I hate that. a success story would help me right now ha ha. I feel like when I do stop drinking the anxiety of withdrawing comes into play and that inner voice says "oh you better taper off" so I get a beer and then its all down hill.

Sorry for rambling. thanks for reading
Old 06-23-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Initially you really do have to just not buy the alcohol. Ice cream helps in the first week. I got thru the first 30 days telling myself "today, I will not drink"- it is a little mind game but it did work in the first month.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Getting out of that daily habit of stopping for alcohol will start to change you - but first I found it helpful to make the small "no drinking today no matter what" goal.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thats what Ive been trying. AND also staying busy on my days off I find really helpful. Good to hear someone say that sometimes it is just that mind game because it really is just yourself. Thank you.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi McBoyle and welcome

This is a great spot to start posting

I drank all day everyday for many years - got sober about 9 years ago, and now my life's never been better...so there really is life on the other side

Participating regularly here - and joining a support thread like the June 2016 one

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-11.html

can really help keep you focused and help you to make a different choice when those thoughts come calling

D
Old 06-23-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much
Old 06-23-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yeah Dee's right I forget to mention that in the evening (witching hour) I was on this site obsessively - it REALLY helped (still does)
Old 06-23-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ice cream, yes. Lots of it. When you stop drinking your body loses all that alcohol sugar and you crave sweets. Other things: makes plans during the time you usually drink. Go to a movie, jog, whatever. You have to replace your drinking habit with other habits and that takes awhile. Trust me, you will feel so much better sober that you'll wonder what you were afraid of!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome, mcboyle! You'll find a lot of support here. It may feel like a big hurdle right now, but you can do this!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello
Old 06-24-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi mcboyle. fear of withdrawal is a concern for many. I will share two experiences with you, but no advice.

I've gone through what would be described as moderate alcohol withdrawal, it was the worst. Physically not terrible, but the tricks played on the mind were very hard for me to deal with. So much so, its a driving force in my sobriety.

I recently quit taking oxycodone, had been taking it for one year and was scared to death based on the horror stories I had read, and all the media attention to this particular drug. I tapered, then made the leap to nothing, and it was not bad at all. My personal view is that it is a pretty bad withdrawal for those who abuse it. Welcome to SR.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Mcboyle, welcome. I remember being where you are--six or seven beers a day and wondering if it was too much. I fooled myself for a long time that I didn't have a problem, and so it just got worse. Good for you to put a name on the disease and take steps to stop it now, as opposed to years from now. Remember, withdrawal is temporary, and the rest of your life awaits.

Come join the June class. We will all beat it together.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will get lots of support here.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome mcboyle! The first week is difficult because you have the physical and the mental working against you, but it is possible.

I would recommend changing up your patterns. Maybe don't drive the same route that takes you by your normal liquor store. I also agree that you need to find another habit to replace it (especially around 2:30) or the "witching hour as others call it.

You will find lots of support here & definitely look into joining the June class support thread!
Old 06-24-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi,

I hope you do it. No time like the present. I went to an outpatient rehab. Seemed a bit much as I wasn't sent there by my job or a judge. I just had a moment of clarity after my friend drank himself to death. I needed to stop but needed some help. So happy I did. I go to AA and whatever else comes my way. I'm picky. It's a program I have to build for myself. You can too!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you, mcboyle.

You sound disgusted, and ready to do this. We know you can. Posting here really helped my anxiety in the early days. I knew I was among friends who understood & cared.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going McBoyle?

D
Old 06-24-2016, 10:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hows it going McBoyle?

D
So tonight a friend of mine had a show that I've been looking forward to. It was really great and they all did a really fantastic job. It was a great night. What I did (for precautionary measures) was left all my credit cards at home, and took only the amount of cash I needed for admission. I knew I was trying to not drink, but this way I also knew I couldn't even buy anything. I actually had such a great night. this is my first day without drinking in quite a while and I have to thank everyone here. the support that I've received in such a short amount of time has given me hope and a strange feeling of friendship. its really cool. Thank you for the support. I cant wait for tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It makes me want to hangout with everyone here how supportive everyone is. anyone in Omaha? haha
Old 06-25-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad to hear the good news. It seemed strange to be without it at first, but I grew to love the freedom of not needing it.

Never been to Nebraska - but I saw the movie & heard the Springsteen song.