Notices

Slip at 9 months

Old 06-24-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post

I love the quote of Tim Grover, Michael Jordan's and other top athletes trainer "Stop waiting to be taught what you already know". Priceless.

Trust yourself. Trust your gut. Stay close to those who travel the same road.
This.

We work so hard to change that inner voice to one we CAN follow. And we must.

Glad you're back.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It appears your self awareness is strong and that will help you tremendously.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leezer View Post
This is me exactly but I drank for 4 years not 2. I would NEVER drink again, but only because it has FINALLY gotten through MY thick skull that no matter what I say, I cannot EVER drink in moderation. I always knew it, but now I BELIEVE it......No more. As Dee has told me, I've been to my last rodeo. Truth.
Leezer, this slip proved it to me too.

This is what did it: the moment I decided to drink 1 cider, the OBSESSING began.

"Should I do this...no I shouldn't. ...yes I should...stop freaking out....relax geez...will I drink again...will I drink tomorrow. ..will I crave it tomorrow. ...will I stop at this one...why am I thinking all this...chill out....maybe I have a problem. ..no I'm telling myself I have a problem...I'm making the problem....why am I THINKING so much??!!!"

And that was BEFORE the substance itself ever entered my body!!! This disease is absolutely physiological (chemical) and psychological (thinking/obsessing).

I had 1 bottle of cider. From that moment I thought about drinking for the next 4 days until I had 2 glasses of wine. Those 3 drinks were the extent of consumption during this relapse.

Wanna know WHY only 3 drinks made this slip/relapse so HUGE?? I saw the obsessing so clearly.

I CANNOT control the obsessing about alcohol. It's not a "will not" it's a "cannot." For example, imagine having one potato chip and then your mind is filled with worry about the next potato chip.

It finally hit home that even if I were able to control my actions (only drink 1 drink per sitting, for example), I CANNOT control my mind (obsessing/thinking about alcohol once I allow it into my life).

That first drink didn't feel like freedom. It felt like walking into a prison cell. Trapped. And all you get to do in your prison cell is think about alcohol.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
It appears your self awareness is strong and that will help you tremendously.
Thank you, Thomas....my therapist and folks on SR have helped me tremendously.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Good to see you trying again

V