Notices

This is TOUGH!!

Old 06-22-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is TOUGH!!

Haven't had a drink since May 28 and I'm still battling almost week-one withdrawal symptoms, minus the dry heaves, diarrhea and loss of appetite. So basically extreme depression, anxiety, confusion, brain fog - like I seem to concentrate enough to even watch a Seinfeld episode - and a feeling like my body/brain just wants to shut down indefinitely. It's damn exhausting. I guess it's possible for this stuff to do on for more than a few weeks and from what I've read on here it might clear up by the two-month mark. God I hope so.

Has anyone tried those Calm (almost typed Clam, haha) Aid gelcaps with lavender oil? Amazon has a bunch of positive reviews on them ("flower burps" is one common complaint though) and I might order some just to give myself a little slack here. Apart from those, any other products and/or supplements that come recommended? I already eat well, drink plenty of water and exercise (run, lift) pretty often.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey! Great job on almost a month! I know it is hard when our bodies and minds are still trying to adjust but it does get better, I promise!

Have you thought about letting a doctor that you trust know what is going on and seeing if they feel it is appropriate to prescribe any prescription medicines?

If you don't want to get a prescription from a doctor then these are some options that my sister who does not like prescription medication has found very helpful:

Ashwagandha (you get it at GNC) is really good for balancing out the mind, helping to concentrate, ups your motivation to get tasks done, and is basically used as a natural "tonic" to help the body deal with stress. My sister said the difference was night and day with her once she started taking this.

From any store (CVS, Walmart, RiteAid, etc)

St. Johns Wart: basically the equivalent to an antidepressant but is natural and not prescription.

Valerien Root: calm the mind and body, help with anxiety and stress.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions! I already take Zoloft and remeron daily, but I do have some ashwagandha that I might try again; couldn't hurt at this point. Another big stressor is that my wife isn't sure she wants to stay with me and is going home for two months to "think about things" but she's already had a month since my last blackout incident to do so. Seems like if she was going to stay she would have come to that conclusion by now. Sigh. So I'll basically be waiting around that whole time fretting about her ultimate decision, which is going to do wonders for my anxiety/depression levels.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always good to talk to a dr before taking supplements of any kind.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear ya, but I'd be astounded if any doctor around here (small town) has even heard the word "ashwagandha" before. They'd probably think I had just suggested supplementing with an obscure African country. Ha!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear ya, but I'd be astounded if any doctor around here (small town) has even heard the word "ashwagandha" before. They'd probably think I had just suggested supplementing with an obscure African country. Ha!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No offense, but the idea made me laugh...
Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theTHINman View Post

Has anyone tried those Calm (almost typed Clam, haha) Aid gelcaps with lavender oil? Amazon has a bunch of positive reviews on them ("flower burps" is one common complaint though) and I might order some just to give myself a little slack here. Apart from those, any other products and/or supplements that come recommended? I already eat well, drink plenty of water and exercise (run, lift) pretty often.
I am very fond of high quality organic Dragonwell tea. It contains high levels of theanine which quickly reduces stress and calms anxiety as a side effect. You can look it up online and do some research but the quality is key and stepping time and temperature is important. There is also Japanese gyokuro, which is even more potent, but it's very expensive for good grade leaves. Personally I think a cup or three of correctly steeped quality dragonwell does wonders for the mind and body. It is also an antioxidant warchest.

I also exercise a lot, which helps me stay focused but the combination for me, works wonders when I need to get back on my game.

Stay Practical - microwave and measure water temp until you know how long it needs every time, using something decent size and inexpensive like this. https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Chacha-...teapot+infuser When done heating, you drop in the infuser and wait a few minutes, amount effects time. Easy as coffee, without caffeine jitters. You definitely feel it with 2 cups, but it's a more focused alert sensation.

Selections: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...dragonwell+tea

Hope it helps,

Last edited by Endeavor; 06-22-2016 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I second what Anna said. Supplements such as St. John's wort and other mood-affecting herbs are not safe to be used if you are on an antidepressant.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theTHINman View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I already take Zoloft and remeron daily, but I do have some ashwagandha that I might try again; couldn't hurt at this point.
Originally Posted by Jemma44 View Post
Yes, I second what Anna said. Supplements such as St. John's wort and other mood-affecting herbs are not safe to be used if you are on an antidepressant.
I didn't see the mention of anti depressant's, in the original post.

To the OP, definitely check with you doctor before trying anything new; herbal, supplement or otherwise.

You're already dealing with changes from quitting alcohol. That plus antidepressants and adding anything else could have bad effects.

I third what Anna said.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Zoloft is a really tricky medication. I would be super careful about adding ANY supplements to Zoloft. Check the black box warning, and like everyone says - get medical clearance before adding any supplements to Zoloft.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I can't remember how jacked up i was at a month, but i was still messed up 3 months in. Lot of anxiety. Really spacey.

Lots of mental issues. Physically i was healing ok.

You sound a lot like me. It gets better.

All that anguish was/is a real motivator to never drink booze again.

I ate a lot of yogurt, granola, and proteins like steak.

Tried to eat healthy.

I made it through drug free.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sure I'll come out the other side ok. Homeostasis is probably the key right now, so I'll just try to muscle through it. But withdrawals suck enough without your spouse telling you they might want out on Day 3. Zing!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're really early days. And I know, for me, uncertainty makes me crazy. The stress alone from having to sit and wait for your wife to get through her issues must be really tough. But wait you must. Just keep taking care of yourself, your health and get lots of sleep. Good luck .
Old 06-22-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks, Frick. I'm going to do that as best I can. Right now it's outta my hands (yes, the uncertainty is maddening) so I'm just going to detach, with love, and worry about staying sane, healthy and sober.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can relate to your feelings! The most rewarding things in life are very hard!! Congrats on almost a month!! That is wonderful!!

Lilly