Notices

slinua

Old 06-22-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

slinua

I'm trying,yet again to kick my ever increasing wine addiction. Last night was the first in months that I didn't drink ! I'm already fighting with myself about tonight! I'm hoping to distract myself!! Fingers crossed 😊
Old 06-22-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey slinua,
i tried for years.
some of the things that finally helped were getting really engaged in sobriety/recovery stuff by reading how others had done it/were doing it and participating daily in forums, making specific plans for the day/evening, taking actions instead of relying on hoping to distract.
sounds like you have past experience with trying, so you'd have an idea of what hasn't worked for you and can do something different instead.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slinua View Post
I'm trying,yet again to kick my ever increasing wine addiction. Last night was the first in months that I didn't drink ! I'm already fighting with myself about tonight! I'm hoping to distract myself!! Fingers crossed 😊
Hello Slinua,

Don't let last night's huge victory go to waste. Don't just cross your fingers, tell yourself that you can and will do this!

Really go for another sober night, perhaps drink loads of water and before you know it you'll be on day 3. And after day three you're going to be feeling a million dollars. :-)

You can do this! :-)
Old 06-22-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Slinua
Old 06-22-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Slinua. I'm glad you're here. Going one night without wine was a giant thing for me. Couldn't fathom it. Congratulations.

In the beginning, it was hardest at the times when I would have started drinking. If you get through those, you'll find it a lot easier. That's where distraction comes in. Surf SR, eat ice cream, take a walk around the block, do a jigsaw puzzle, knit, wash the dishes by hand. Anything that keeps your hands occupied and makes your brain sort of pay attention. I also attended AA meetings. That could be an option if you're interested.

Keep going.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd last a day or two trying to quit on my own. I always found myself back to my drinking pattern eventually.

SR, and the very supportive members made all the difference for me.

Keep posting, you can do this!
Old 06-22-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keeping busy and distracting yourself can help a lot. Maybe you can plan to do something different tonight to help keep your mind off drinking even for a few minutes. I'm glad you found us!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hope it's going ok tonight, Slinua. I'm glad you've made the decision to get free of it.