Notices

Excited about doctor's appointment? Whhhatttt?!

Old 06-22-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excited about doctor's appointment? Whhhatttt?!

I have appointments with my doctor, my psychiatrist, and a counseling session with my substance abuse counselor (they are all in the same building so I do them all at once)today and as I was getting ready I noticed I was humming and that I actually woke up excited to go to my appointments! Wow if I would have ever told past me that in 11 months I would be practically skipping to the door and leaving early to get there on time I would have laughed in my own face and showed up late because I had to wait for my drug dealer to show up before I could go to my addiction doctor, psychiatrist, and counselor... urgh!

This is the first doctor I have EVER respected and I actually trust his opinion. He takes everything that I say seriously, doesn't rush me, and never just shakes his head and goes "you were an addict what do you expect?" No..he treats me like a human being and he has never steered me wrong yet (of course I go into each appointment armed with research and knowledge which anyone should do regardless).

I recently tweaked my psychiatric medicines last visit and I am happy to report on the pros and cons and see if another tweak is in order. I like being proactive and to really striving to get to a point where I feel like myself without having to fight off addiction and mental demons.

As for my substance abuse counselor, she has literally been a LIFE SAVOR. She has helped me prepare and arm myself with natural ways to lower my stress, get through hard times, and how to deal with life on life's terms. Even though I do take medications, I am trying to not add to the medicines I take and therefore try to work on the aspects that I can. I know I cannot control my bipolar with these techniques, but I can lower my anxiety and relieve some of my depression. Counseling plus medicine has changed my entire life.

I guess my whole point of this post is don't be afraid to reach out. I didn't want to go to the doctor in the beginning either, but man am I happy I dragged my ass there because let me tell you, I would not be sober without all of their support, knowledge, expertize, and help.

If you have a doctor and you don't feel like you are being heard or taken seriously, keep searching. Being an addict does NOT make you less of a person, you do not need to be talked down to, dismissed, or brushed off. All my life doctors brushed off my mood swings and persistant depression and mania as "Of course you are like that you are a HEROIN ADDICT". Well guess what..yes I was a heroin addict but also have bipolar type 2, generalized anxiety disorder, and treatment resistant depression which is made worse by the depression that comes with bipolar disorder. Those doctors refused to take me serious and brushed me aside, that might be part of the reason why I like my doctor now so much, for the first time in my life they took me serious and actually did the tests that are needed to determine what was going on.

I hope everyone has a great morning! Keep fighting, reaching out, and working on yourself!
Old 06-22-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are very lucky to have found such good drs. And your willingness to receive their help is great. I'm happy for you!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!

I used to be so skeptical and guarded when it came to any type of doctor, but with recovery came accepting help and I am so grateful for it. I also know how lucky I am to have found such good doctors because that can be hard to find even if someone is completely open to help.

I just got off the phone with my sister who said she is having trouble with dealing with school, our mom having cancer, and her fiancé needing back surgery and I let her know that help is out there and that since I will be coming home for 4 weeks I can help her weed through all the pros and cons of different options.

For the first time in my life I am honest with myself about my needs and I am feeling better then I ever have in my entire life. Man looking back I wish I wouldnt' have been so stubborn and so positive that I needed heroin to survive, I thank God everyday that I found recovery at 25 and I refuse to lose it.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you!

It is wonderful you have found these wonderful guides in your life. It's meant to be, especially that they are in one building, amazing!

I have so much respect that you have come here and tackled these things in your life.

I also think your shares must help a lot of people here at SR!

Keep humming friend!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aw thank you! The more I work on my recovery the more motivated I am to keep working on it. Before I was so passive and just eh about my health and my life- now I have goals and I refuse to accept just "eh" anymore.

I LOVE that they are in one building, this way all three of them all have access to my files and the notes each one makes so everything is stream lined and they can and do all work together.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Adeline
Old 06-22-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

what a great post and great message AdelineRose - my doctor is awesome too

D
Old 06-22-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AdelineRose View Post
I have appointments with my doctor, my psychiatrist, and a counseling session with my substance abuse counselor (they are all in the same building so I do them all at once)today and as I was getting ready I noticed I was humming and that I actually woke up excited to go to my appointments! Wow if I would have ever told past me that in 11 months I would be practically skipping to the door and leaving early to get there on time I would have laughed in my own face and showed up late because I had to wait for my drug dealer to show up before I could go to my addiction doctor, psychiatrist, and counselor... urgh!
I am SO happy you have this team of doctors. It is amazing what can happen to your life, mind and body when you have this support. I just went through a similar round of tests and appts last week and was just so excited to go to my AA lunch mtg then to see my drs!

Thank God for this kind of help. I wish it for everyone out there, whatever our addiction and mental struggles- we can get help.

Good for you!!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It def. is amazing what can happen with the right support and the willingness to get help. We don't have to do this alone- hell sometimes we CANT do it alone- that is one of the best realizations I have ever come to in my life.

I def. do thank God for this kind of help, what are the chances when I just called a random number one day that I would find this incredible team of doctors that were qualified, worked together, were compassionate, empathetic, and treat me like a PERSON and not just an addict.

I am happy you are having a similar experience!