Notices

Vigilance or always be prepared

Old 06-21-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Vigilance or always be prepared

You just never know when alcohol is going to blindside you. I'm on vacation and down at the beach. While permitted, very few people drink which is one of the reasons I enjoy the place. All of a sudden 8 people show up with half a bar. Multiple liquors, multiple wines, and a ton of beer. After a few drinks they decide to become my new best friend. They want me to come have a drink with them. They were actually just being nice but I said, "Thanks, I used to drink that's why I don't." This took a minute to sink in but they did not ask again.

Then tonight I'm at a high end restaurant and the was a minor problem with the dinner at least I thought it was minor but the place freaked out. The chief is at our table apologizing and the waitstaff is falling all over themselves. They insist on complimentary dessert and coffee which we accepted, They bring the coffee and there are shot glasses with coffee liqueur next to them,

Some days I feel like I need a tattoo on my forehead that says, "I don't fricking drink, so back off."
Old 06-21-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I hear ya MIR.

Sounds like the proximity of booze bugs you.

Not me. I have little to no fear of being around drinkers so far.

I have been trapped by a gang of them a few times, but I am stubborn.

I am getting ready to go to an all inclusive Cancun vacation.

My loving wife has blabbed to everyone that I quit drinking.

My sister in law says to me, are you worried about the temptation.

I told her nope, I could drink every night if I want...going to a hotel w free booze doesn't bother me too much.

It might someday, if I relapse...God help me...., but for now I am a sober man. Proud and getting stronger as we speak.

So help me God.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are absolutely right MIR. I will never get arrogant in the face of my addiction.

Glad you passed your tests
Old 06-21-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

"Thanks, I used to drink that's why I don't

I love that answer.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear ya MIR. It seems to be inescapable on vacation! I totally understand - Its not like we want it or are even tempted by it, but it would be nice not to have it in your face constantly, and everyone just assuming everyone else drinks!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate MIR. I took a vacation to Spain last year, and it seemed there were beers and wine at outdoor bars every corner I turned. A couple of times we ordered our lunch, with sodas /water, but with our dessert the restaurant brought complimentary drinks (port or liqueurs) and just plunked them down right under my nose. I passed, but it's a little weird.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, the universe is really testing your resolve today! I haven't gone to very many social events for that reason....but I'm only 8 months sober. Great job!!!
Old 06-21-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have much to offer other than yeah it can be annoying that alcohol is so engrained in our culture.

I don't really mind being around drinking at all. I don't even have the slightest urge to drink when I'm around others who are drinking. I guess I've embarassed myself too many times
Old 06-21-2016, 10:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Enjoy your holiday, MIR!

Funny how people can't have a good time without booze! I was like that once!lol.

Keep that tool box close to hand! And whack them with it if they out booze in your coffee!
Old 06-22-2016, 12:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

This reminds me early on in my first year sober when I was on a short college course .. one lunchtime a guy on the course said do you want to go for a beer my treat ? in my head I was like how dare you ask me im alcoholic then I realised it's what a lot of ppl do and he didn't know and I never told him but replied thanks but no thanks I'm going to go eat

Then another time I kid you not I turned up at the course one morning and one of the trainer's from Hungary offered me a shot glass of Hungarian vodka as his dad sent it .. it was around 7.45am and I laughed in shock while saying no... saying something along the lines of if you only knew me thanks but no thanks
Old 06-22-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Being around drinking doesn't bother me. It is not something I enjoy, and even avoid it because I don't care for people when they are drinking but when a drinking situation comes out of left field it irritates me .

But such is life in a drinking world. I was prepared long before I was challenged and that is the way I plan on keeping it