Notices

Four days

Old 06-21-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four days

Hi
I am having trouble knowing where I can post and where I can't. Very confusing. I am having trouble with insomnia. This is the first withdrawal symptom. I am trying to watch tv instead of tossing and turning. Any suggestions. It is hard to stay calm, especially since I have been unable to post on various threads. I just want to talk to someone. Mary
Old 06-21-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I don't know why you're having trouble posting. Are you looking at one of the sticky threads at the top of the forum? Most of those are locked for replies, denoted by a padlock symbol.

Insomnia and anxiety are well-known symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, and they will pass. Just don't drink for relief and start the cycle all over--you never have to go through this again!
Old 06-21-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome Mary,

Read the stickies.

It takes a bit of efforts to start a new thread.

I tend to piggy back on other threads.

We will answer any quests. Regardless of the topic on any thread.

1 hour of sober sleep is better than 12 drunken ones.

What is your drinking history?

Stay clean. It gets better by the moment.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome, glad you're here with us. At times when I can't sleep I listen to some soothing meditative music on youtube. I especially like the classical guitar playing - very nice and helps me fall asleep.

Post anything on the Newcomers forum you desire - it's there especially for our new friends.

Four days is an great start! Good for you
Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your help. I am calming down now that people are responding. I am a woman in my sixties, married, grown children, 8 grandchildren. We are financially secure, nice house, good job. I think my drink g is not known outside the family. I have been very careful in public. I have been soul searching as to how I stooped so low. I have made a list of short comings and concerns. I have been treated for depression on and off since college. I am a nervous person, anxious to succeed. Lots of self doubts. Thanks for listening. Mary
Old 06-21-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I am in my early 50.s. married w 3 kids. 1 still at home.

I drank mostly at night fairly hard, about a 750ml per week. Sometimes more.

My health was starting to fail. High BP, weak, no endurance, cronicly exhausted etc.

I had a hypoglycemia attack about 14 months ago while working out. I somehow managed my way home....I quit 2 days later.

There is more, but the bottom line is...I forgot what normal was.

Now that I am sober, it is a new world. A better world.

Stay clean. change your lif a bit. We are all addicts here. Alcohol is poison. Don't believe the hype.

Read. Post. It works.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Mary-

I had insomnia at first, too. It's an adjustment for our bodies to fall asleep naturally instead of passing out from drinking (at least this is how I fell asleep every night).

It will get better. I grabbed naps when possible, which helped and my sleep evened out after a few months.

Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking. My life as a sober wife and mother is so much easier and happier than when I was drinking every night. You can do this!
Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Mary

you can post anywhere - except for the Mens Room forum

I hope you'll feel at home soon

D
Old 06-22-2016, 12:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mary
Old 06-22-2016, 02:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Mary,welcome and congratulations on fours days :-)
Old 06-22-2016, 02:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mary, welcome, one day a time and you will start to see small improvements and then bigger ones. SR is a great community with wonderful support for each other. Lots of energy and support sent your way.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, I believe you will find it helpful. Each day will get a little better than the one before it.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Today is day five. Doing better. Have been working on cleaning my deck and getting it set up for lounging and eating outside. I let it slide like a lot of projects around the house. It's summer. I am a teacher. Must find things to do that will give me sense of accomplishment. This is a challenge for me.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Mary, congrats on making the decision to quit drinking. Like everyone says, it does get easier and better with each passing day. I'm in my early 50s, going through a divorce and have 4 kids. Youngest is 10 and then 19 yr old triplets. I think many of us, women in particular, drink to either escape or numb our feelings or both. There is also some evidence out there that suggest women drink out of feelings of powerlessness. I know that was certainly the case for me. So rather than make a list of all your shortcomings and focusing on the negative, how about listing all the positive things about you and your plans for the future? Becoming sober takes strength and courage. Don't sell yourself short.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mary,

If you have anymore trouble posting, then please PM me and I will be glad to help.

Accepting that we are alcoholics is hard and one of the hardest parts is looking at what we've done and the messes we've made. My self-esteem was non-existent by the time I stopped drinking. This is part of what alcoholism does to us. But, you can regain your self-worth by staying sober and doing things that bring you joy.