Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Treating my panic disorder and agoraphobia with Xanax (23 year old with alcoholic past)

Notices

Treating my panic disorder and agoraphobia with Xanax (23 year old with alcoholic past)

Old 06-21-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

I am a 23 year old who suffered from extreme and severe agoraphobia, panic attacks and anxiety for around 5 years. To make things to the point I was using alcohol as a medication, to go out, to socialize, to go to the airport, train station you name it. Basically I used alcohol to get on with my life, at first like many of us alcohol helped take the edge off but it was not until around 2 years and a half later that it got in complete out of control. I use to wake up and drink, put liquor in water bottles and basically drink the whole day until I sleep. After a heavy drinking session I woke up to extreme withdrawal symptoms and I decided to step up and seek help.

I was prescribed prozac (20mg) once daily and Xanax to wean off the withdrawal. It's been a year now that I have stopped drinking but I am still on medication. My panic disorder was destroying my life and along with alcohol my life was hell. Xanax saved my life, however after a year of taking it in a bit worried when looking at posts about addiction. I take 0.5 MG to 0.75 MG of Xanax per day for sleep and anxiety. I always go out with 2 pills in case I have a panic attack, I feel safe when j have them. My life is much better now and I honestly don't understand why Xanax has such a bad reputation for People that need it. I suffered from a severe panic disorder with alcoholism and taking a pill and a half of Xanax for my anxiety does not sound bad to me. However opinions differ snd j wanted to see if anyone else uses Xanax daily for panic disorder and agoraphobia and had a history of alcohol consumption. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences
Old 06-21-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey I suffer with the same thing but I've never taken xanax so have no experience apart from knowing benzos are highly addictive and not really prescribed in the Uk or at least I havnt asked I have tried different anti depressants & anti anxiety to find a fit & I think I finally have I've also done cbt & group therapy have you tried that

I do a lot of deep breathing exercises throughout the day to help with panic when it strikes it's bad but worrying as you know only makes it worse
Old 06-21-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Xanax has a bad reputation in the recovery community because it is highly addictive, causes severe withdrawals, and lots of addicts have used it in conjunction with their DOC to intensify affects.

That being said, as with any medication, you have to weigh the benefits of a medicine against the negatives. Only YOU know whether Xanax is the right fit for you. Do you go to counseling? If yes then does your counselor help you with different natural stress and anxiety relieving techniques? If no, then maybe it would be a good idea to add that into your tool box.

As long as you are honest with your doctors about your past alcohol abuse and let them know any physical or mental health conditions and you come up with a plan that works for YOU then do whatever is needed to live a productive and healthy life.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I take the same dosage of Xanax as you do, however, I don't take it every day. I don't feel addicted to it, but it does help to take the edge off when I feel the need and works. I too have heard that it is dangerous, but again, I don't take it everyday--- in fact, I think I took it more when I was drinking then I do now, which is bad news.
Everyone is different and reacts differently to meds. Xanax works for me after trying many others that had adverse effects.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might be helpful to know that there are ways to deal with panic attacks and anxiety without medication. I have had problems with panic attacks since my teen years and, I found a couple of books that have helped me through. If you decide to get off the Xanax, please know that there are other ways to help with this issue.

"When Panic Attacks" by David Burns, MD
"From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett
Old 06-21-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You might ask your doctor about using a beta blocker. I had some experience with Xanax, prescribed by my cardiologist. After two weeks I started getting anxiety in the late afternoons, I was only taking one pill at bedtime to control my heart rate, it didn't make me sleepy or high or anything like that. I now take atenolol and have for years. It helps so much,

Love from Lenina
Old 06-22-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Madridista93
I have no experience with Xanax but others will have and I know they'll share their personal experiences.

Have you talked about your concerns with your Doctor?

D
Old 06-22-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply however if it is making my life better I don't see why so mant negative opinions, I'd rather take a small pill everyday than struggle all my life
Old 06-22-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I believe there is the potential for abuse which is why it gets a bit of a reputation. If you are able to use it responsibility and it improves your quality of life, then I say its not a big deal. The only real problem is accepting the fact that you need to take it daily for possibly the rest of your life.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The problem with using a benzo like Xanax as your long-term primary strategy for anxiety management is that there's a high likelihood of developing tolerance and dependence to the drug over time. As with alcohol, you'll need more and more of it to achieve the same effect. Eventually you're taking large doses just to stave off withdrawal symptoms. This is why benzo drugs are rarely prescribed for long-term use.

I'd highly recommend looking into alternative strategies to manage your anxiety and panic disorder, including therapy, meditation, and exercise. The only catch is that they're not as simple as taking a pill -- they require effort and practice on your part -- but the long-term results are ever so much better.

I also agree with the advice to lay out your concerns honestly to your doctor.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I too am part of the prozac and xanax club! I continue to take the prozac but don't take the xanax anymore. The further and further away I get from my last drink, the less and less I need it. I have found healthy alternatives to xanax. Go to the gym, meditate, read, listen to music...any and all of those have helped me to "take the edge off."

Good luck
Old 06-22-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I became tolerant to Diazepam some years ago and had a terrible time getting off them . I used them to get me through hangovers which was in reality abuse of them . In UK doctors are now reluctant to dish out repeat prescriptions ( in my practice anyway ) . I was however prescribed 3 days worth to aid with my last withdrawals 11 May . I find they make depression worse too .
Old 06-22-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good day Madridista93 ,
First may I say, thank you for reaching out and telling your story (a small part anyways). It sounds very similar to mine and when I stopped it felt like hell. I have suffered from extreme anxiety and bouts of depression since I was about 14. Coupled with being married twice and both were abusive and one was a crack addict (I found out after a 5 months of marriage)while, my anxiety got worse. Drinking was a way to downplay all these men were doing and saying at different points. Not many even knew I was drinking daily and yes I was on Xanax and Effexor. I put myself into counseling and my counsler mostly listened. I went to AA in a womens group and wow! They seemed to know their stuff. I was told that once I was off the alcohol and got rid of the abusive men in my life things would calm down. I could then slowly learn to wean off the Xanax. I had a clicking in my head that drove me nuts for 4 weeks until it stopped when I got off Effexor. I say contact your doc, but I am assuming that you did not tell your prescribing doc you were drinking, and if you did good for you. My experience is one that seems similar and we are all coping with different stressors. Hang in there and I do suggest daily exercise if you can as well as talk therapy. If there are major stressors in your life that you can rid yourself of, do so. The sooner you will feel relief from some of the stress and anxiety. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It might be helpful to know that there are ways to deal with panic attacks and anxiety without medication. I have had problems with panic attacks since my teen years and, I found a couple of books that have helped me through. If you decide to get off the Xanax, please know that there are other ways to help with this issue.

"When Panic Attacks" by David Burns, MD
"From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett
I've read panic to power and it's a most excellent book & I recently bought when panic attacks but havnt read it yet but both books are excellent
Old 06-22-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Madridista93

you had two identical threads so I merged them for you.

D