Notices

Stay Sober Weekender June 17th - Part 2

Old 06-22-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'm out of it too Ruby . Forgot my coffee, spilled the baby's yogurt everywhere, can't focus on much at work ugh! Hate mornings that start off this way but things are bound to look up after I find some caffeine!

I concur....Simple is better. Xo
Old 06-22-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Old 06-22-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

countdown to 50.
eh?, Ken
Don't worry,
ain't so bad.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thanks Lunar! I took tomorrow off so I can enjoy the moment.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I am just going to drop this here...it's a good article on the home page of SR. I think every addict needs to hear this.

The Most Toxic Relationship You Have May Be Yourself

Now, back to catch up!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I read somewhere

"Life begins at 40 ….

Life really … really... begins at 50 "
Old 06-22-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Interesting times...

On short notice, we went to a Pal's B-Day Party last Night at a local Restaurant. He mixed Audio over the Decades for everybody and their Brother, and has endless Stories. He'd met Bowie. CSN&Y; replete with all their Band 'Baggage'. Mixed Super Bowl Audio. Drove a Van over to Grauman's Chinese Theater to take Prince to a Record Company Party a few Miles away after Purple Rain debuted at Grauman's. Mister T hopped into his Van with Prince, and they proceed to snort their Brains out. Just the way it was... At Dinner last Night, the Alcohol was minimal, and MesaMate stuck with Iced Tea. Whew.

When looking for my Boots last Night that I'd stashed in her Vehicle, I ran across her Road Kit for the next 9 Days. 5 Bottles of Colorado 'Boutique' Vodka, and 2 Bottles of Wine. I'm OK with this stealth because it keeps it off-premises from here. And, my ongoing intent is to willingly provide a window where she can go off and get bent with her Gal Pals. Things around here are at a nice stasis. BTW, I appreciate all the Anniversary Wishes here. Youse Guys mean a lot... I'm on a 'In The Moment' Roll right now, so things are present, and pretty sweet.

This Morning, my pending Fishing Trip/Target Shooting Pal calls me from just West of Denver. His Common Law Wife's MIL had a Heart Attack last Night, and is in critical condition at the Hospital. His CLW had told him to carry on, and make the Trip to here. I told him to turn around. By the time he called his CLW back to tell her he was gonna take my advice, his MIL had died. So, rough times for them. I've done that Parental Drill 4x times, and you just gotta be there. Because his CLW had told him to keep driving - and stay in touch - I think he figgered that was 'permission'. It is, but Common Sense needs to win out. I told him that ~1 Year from now, he'll be glad he made this decision.

So, I'm gonna carry on w/my Trip Plans. In part for my Sober Mental Health, and in part so that MesaMate can party on, and see her important Gals. She misses them. And, Introverted Me is perfectly happy to go fish, and see new Sights with MesaDog until the Friday after this. I'm quite psyched!

Turns out that a very quiet David Bowie was a fellow Introvert.

'Strange Days, indeed... Most peculiar, Momma...'

- 'Nobody Told Me' ~ John Lennon -

- Grauman's Chinese Theater Pix -
Old 06-22-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening everyone
Old 06-22-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Ah, Mesa, good call on sending your pal back to CLW.

It's dripping outside right now. I've read the reports that tornado force winds may come later this afternoon along with 2 inch hail. I don't think my umbrellas will stand for that.

50. Fifty is just fine actually. Apart from waking up in the morning in terror that my life is almost over and what have I done with it. I find there's more freedom to 50. I'm far more comfortable with me than I ever was. Ken, welcome to the club. AARP will be sending you tons of stuff now.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

AARP will be sending you tons of stuff now.
I assume this is like the uk firm SAGA ? not air raid prevention like in dads army ?
Old 06-22-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sound advice MesaMan re your friend and his CLW - things like that can be resented after the immediate event is over

Left work a bit early to go to Trafalgar Square for a tribute to murdered MP Jo Cox. It was really very moving

The UK could be on the brink of doing something of colossal stupidity. It is really worrying
Old 06-22-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Happy Birthday Eve, Ken!

I always though AARP was basically a political lobbiest group.

The brain fog has lifted and I'm back on track for work this afternoon! Yay!
Xo

Have fun fishing Mesa!
Old 06-22-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

My brain is mighty foggy this afternoon. I was fine this morning, but 3 hours of training has me wiped out, with no room for more information today. I went home for lunch and really, really wanted to just fall asleep on the couch. 4 hours to go...
Old 06-22-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Ugh I crashed my computer and since our IT team doesn't exist I am beside myself....
Old 06-22-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Tick Tock..... New thread and new decade start tomorrow. But who's counting.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

AARP American Association of Retired Persons. No air raid association. Though with your comment Mec, I thought of an air raid helmet that belonged to my maternal grandfather. He was unable to serve in WWII because he had multiple sclerosis but he was assigned civilian duties and given that helmet.

Marty, hopefully your day passes quickly and you can go home to rest.

Della, I hate when that happens. What a drag.

I'm going to take a stroll and see if I wake up. I'm a little tired.

Sao, it was good of you to go to the memorial. I imagine it was sad. My newspaper says "stay in." We'll see how the vote goes tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Funny John Oliver video about the "brexit" vote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgKHSNqxa8
Old 06-22-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

To anyone voting in the upcoming UK referendum, I'd like to appeal to you to vote Remain.
If you really feel that Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Rupert Murdoch and Vladimir Putin have your best interests at heart then of course vote to leave. I strongly believe the EU is better with the UK and vice-versa.
Remember that freedom of work and movement within the EU will not be a given if you leave and that doing so will have implications for the union between England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The EU is not perfect, it's a flawed institution, but that doesn't mean leaving is the best option. Staying and pushing for reform to EU institutions is surely a better path to follow.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

This was written by someone I know:

I have an Irish passport. My husband is German and my children are British. My European family would not exist without the EU. Ireland’s membership of the EU encouraged me to study languages. (I dreamt of being a Eurocrat once upon a time.) An Erasmus exchange led me to my future husband and our rights to work and live anywhere in the EU means that the UK is now our home.
Tomorrow British voters will decide on whether the UK should remain a member of the EU. I’m worried about the result but come what may I will be glad when it’s over. The referendum debates have frustrated, enraged and baffled me at times. Enough has already been said about the poison and wilful misinformation of the Leave campaign but Remain’s tactics have been problematic too. Some days it seems the best the Remain camp can say is that the EU is tedious and convoluted but necessary, like some kind of unpleasant medicine that we just have to swallow. The EU definitely has weaknesses and needs reform but I would have liked to see a more positive case for membership made.
I personally wish to thank the original architects of the EU and all the Eurocrats who have followed. Thank you for having a crazy idea and somehow making it work. Thank you for settling the coal and steel disputes which rent Europe asunder in too many brutal wars. Thank you for helping make the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic seem less worth killing over. Thank you for regulations to protect workers’ and consumers’ rights, to challenge discrimination, to reduce mobile phone bills, to improve the quality of our air, our water, our beaches, our food. But most of all, thank you for my family.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I work with a bunch of jokers it seems.

One of the ladies announced today "it is time to liven up this place". When one of the others had left her seat, she placed a note on her desk with the phone number of a local pet store and the message "Please call Annie Rabbitte re. appointment". Rabbitte being a common last name here.

We were waiting to see if she would read it and call back - which she did but no one picked up. We were dying for her to say "Can I talk to Annie Rabbitte please" but she said "if it is important they will call back"...at this stage the others were in fits and I was trying to hide my smile in a chart. So we told her and she just laughed.

I know it was silly but sometimes it's nice to have a bit of silliness and a giggle. I actually can't temember the last time I had a bit of fun