Notices

Worried about myself

Old 06-20-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about myself

I wrote before how I was told by ER just to taper off. I'm still on half the amount I was drinking. ER said to throw away a drink a day which I thought was ridiculous as I'd already gone 3 days without it. So I cut it down to half. I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow who will definitely give me benzos. I wish I hadn't listened to them and just kept going as I've spent the last 2 days in bed with bad hangovers and just feeling dreadful. I think the public health system sucks.

I went to another doctor yesterday (not ER) and she diagnosed the chest pains as being from chest wall inflammation so I'm on a tablet which is really helping. The problem is that I have to give up smoking as well to get rid of the chest pains. It all just seems too much to handle when I can barely even get out of bed or cook for myself. A big thankyou to all who replied on my other thread. I just needed to vent and tell people who understand.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll make good decisions for yourself sweetichick.

It makes absolutely sense not to smoke - maybe you can get some patches, or get someone to get them for you?

As for the tapering, it's not my thing, but thats pretty much the standard advice in the UK.

I hope you'll keep going down targeting to an eventual zero.

The idea that you can't do both these things is your AV talking.

Ignore it

D
Old 06-20-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, get a patch or some gum to help with the smoking..

Transitioning from drinking to a sober lifestyle is not without feeling horrible for a while, it's part of the deal but it does go away!

Be very careful with the benzos, extreamly addictive and very dangerous!!

Hope you get better soon!!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're working on your recovery.

Stopping drinking is really hard physically and emotionally. Personally I think tapering is harder than stopping, but if it works for you, that's good. And, I guess your body is telling you it doesn't like you smoking.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One day at a time and one battle at a time.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope you get to feeling better soon sweetichick. It helps me to remember how I felt at the end of my last binge whenever I think about taking a drink again though. Maybe write about it in a journal or something?
Old 06-20-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many thanks to all who replied. I've tried patches and gum before and I ended up getting twice the nicotine as I kept smoking. I'll try halving my smokes for now. It was a great idea and thankyou but I've been down that path before. I was more wondering if anyone else has the half dead feelings? Today is my last day with a hangover as I am seeing my pyschiatrist tomorrow. But I don't know if its the hangover or not as I felt half dead still after 3 days off. I admit I feel more half dead now but are just worried.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm still managing to halve my intake.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry you're feeling rotten. You'll feel so much better after you've detoxed and have been sober for a bit. I've had that kind of chest pain, too...kinda scary. I've never smoked so I can't speak to that, but when I was in rehab I was astonished that a few folks quit drinking and smoking at the same time. They all said it was easier that way. I guess because they go hand in hand for some? Not sure. Hope you feel better soon.