Notices

Drinking and PTSD

Old 05-02-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Teraries

Drinking and PTSD

Part of my drinking , well, the most of it, is due to my PTSD, which centers around a foster home that abused me daily and very destructively. She was a religious nut. A hypocrite I need deep therapy for it, I realize, after my attempt in a residential treatment program. AA, they say, is not centred around religion, but I know this is not true. I go into panic attacks when I attend. I found this group, in my community, (Google SOS Winnipeg) that helps with that
Old 06-19-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for whats gone on in your past but I'm glad you found us - this is a safe and welcoming community

Welcome to SR Teraries

D
Old 06-19-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have ptSD as well so I relate. Of course alcohol makes my ptSD explosive in the long run so not really a sustainable option. Have you tried EMDR and attachment therapy?

AA can also be hard because it requires trust. Something I am bit short on. I take it very slow and back off if I start to panic. I live in a very religious area but there are meetings that are less Christian and more spiritual. Have you looked into refuge recovery or dharma centers?
Old 06-19-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also suffer PTSD and really struggle with any form of trust. I liked AA at first but when I realised how much trust I would need to obtain and work with a sponsor I just knew I couldn't proceed. I also fear any type of rejection so putting all my eggs in one basket with one sponsor will never work for either of us.
Hope you find an answer Teraries.
Take care x
Old 06-19-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Treaties nice to meet you
Old 06-19-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome aboard,

Pretty sure I am ptsd as well, but never been diagnosed. I can't go for now, I would lose my job.

Prefer to keep it for now.

I had mental trauma as a child. Parents were drugged and spoiled. I was left to my own doing as long as i can remember. Pretty sad not being cared for as a small child.

I know this is nothing horrible, compared to some folks, but this is enough to cause me anxiety under various life skill situations.

I drank my troubles away, until I nearly killed myself a few times.

I believe in God. I relate to your distrust of religion though. Me too. Part of my fluid upbringing.

AA tries to use the higher power angle. One lady at the meeting I go to prays to a unicorn. Whatever it takes to stay clean.

Bottom line, get clean, stay clean. We were not designed to run on booze. It scrambles our brain.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I suffer from combat PTSD and have been diagnosed for years. I turned to the bottle to quiet my head many times but I truly believe it only sunk me deeper into my problem
Old 06-20-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

PTSD here, diagnosed. The drinking numbed me out real good but the panic and wd was so bad I never felt panic attacks like that. Then, it turned into paranoia and even hallucinations at times. AA also does not work for me with the trust factor after what I have seen. There are other ways. I am tuning my AV out and reading books on addiction. You are not alone.