Notices

Made peace with my commitment to sobriety

Old 06-18-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made peace with my commitment to sobriety

Since giving up the booze three or four months ago I have been on a bit of a roller coaster but I have felt content in the last week. I think I've clarified in my mind since my rational recovery course that I have to take personal responsibility and I am the only person who can ever make me drink again. I have instantly recovered from my addiction the day I said I will never drink again to myself and meant it.
I very rarely have AV thought or maybe I have a lot and have succeeded in training my brain to shut them down instantly. Looking back at life I've often played the victim role which in itself took power away from me. I also realise bad things also happen to sober people and life continues with various problems but being sober allows me to see this clearer and take action.
For me being sober makes sense- my blood pressure is perfect, my depression is lifting, my anxiety is reduced, I've lost about 12kg, I'm saving a fortune, I've started excercising, and most importantly I'm starting to believe in myself and see my potential. I'm planning on looking for work or starting up my own company or maybe going back to uni to train as an occupational therapist.
My AV could only say -you won't make it, your rubbish , anyway you like getting drunk, but I have learnt it is a sneaky little voice that spouts lies and rubbish.
So yes life has its obstacles but I can either go for it or sober or go for it drunk and I have a suspicion being sober will give me the best chance
Old 06-18-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jtmlk View Post
Since giving up the booze three or four months ago I have been on a bit of a roller coaster but I have felt content in the last week. I think I've clarified in my mind since my rational recovery course that I have to take personal responsibility and I am the only person who can ever make me drink again. I have instantly recovered from my addiction the day I said I will never drink again to myself and meant it.
I very rarely have AV thought or maybe I have a lot and have succeeded in training my brain to shut them down instantly. Looking back at life I've often played the victim role which in itself took power away from me. I also realise bad things also happen to sober people and life continues with various problems but being sober allows me to see this clearer and take action.
For me being sober makes sense- my blood pressure is perfect, my depression is lifting, my anxiety is reduced, I've lost about 12kg, I'm saving a fortune, I've started excercising, and most importantly I'm starting to believe in myself and see my potential. I'm planning on looking for work or starting up my own company or maybe going back to uni to train as an occupational therapist.
My AV could only say -you won't make it, your rubbish , anyway you like getting drunk, but I have learnt it is a sneaky little voice that spouts lies and rubbish.
So yes life has its obstacles but I can either go for it or sober or go for it drunk and I have a suspicion being sober will give me the best chance
That's brilliant. Well done!! Your so right that it will only hold back your potential. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-18-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you've made your peace jtmlk

D
Old 06-18-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

Simply awesome post!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

Great post, congratulations on your decision and your insight, you deserve it, Onward!
Old 06-18-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic job on seeing through all those lies that your AV has been telling you.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your words are so inspirational! I wish you health and happiness - you already have strength and pride! Sweet!
Old 06-18-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your post radiates strength and is very inspirational! Well done!!!