Notices

Well that was pleasantly different

Old 06-18-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well that was pleasantly different

It is often said here that "not everyone else drinks" but we so often come here confronted with times that we are the odd ones out. Today I had a nice experience with the other side of the coin.
I was checking in guests to one of the homes I manage. It is quite expensive to rent for the week and as such comes with various services and provisions including a very nice bottle of champagne as a welcome gift for arriving guests.
I had completed my usual tour of the house at which point I presented the bottle on behalf of the owner. Usually guests are very happy to receive this and put it in the refrigerator right away to enjoy later in their stay. Today the guests said "thank you so much, but we don't drink, why don't you take it home and enjoy it" I said "I don't drink either! We'll just have to leave it for the next guests"
I don't know why they don't drink, but knowing my own battle with alcoholism and this being a possibility for one or more of the guests staying I put it away in a locked cabinet in the house instead of leaving it in the pantry.
See? It is true, not everyone drinks.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are many people out there who never drink at all. Not even because they are former alcoholics, but because they simply don't like it.
One of best "drinking" buddies doesn't even drink. We would go to the bars often and I'd get beer, and he would sip on a diet coke. Even at parties where everyone was getting hammered, he would show up with a 6 pack of pepsi, and had just as good of a time as everyone else. I always looked up to him for that reason.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mera, how cool would it be if you had an amazing non alcoholic drink, something delicious and very Italian that a tourist wouldn't know about, and gave them something like that?

My partner and I got married a year ago. We had our wedding night in a really nice hotel. They gave us a bottle of champagne. That kinda sucked, even though u knew they meant well. On our anniversary, we went to another nice inn. This time I was prepared, we brought elderflower bubbly my partner brought back from England.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice story. Thanks for sharing, Mera. I had a similar experience two weekends ago. We flew to California for a wedding being held at a winery. I have a few years of sobriety under my belt, but I still mentally prepared myself for witnessing a lot of drunken wine drinkers. Turns out the bride and groom were non-drinkers and didn't have any alcohol at the wedding. They simply loved the venue with its beautiful vistas and the winery was just a bi-product of this perk.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 06-18-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was totally blown away at my first concert sober that there were a LOT of people there drinking water.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great story!! That's for sharing! That had to really make your heart feel good! It did mine, keep up the great work! Kudos to you!
Old 06-18-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you had that experience mera

D
Old 06-18-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great. "We don't drink." And straight up about it. Nice.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Awesome!

Last edited by Dharma33; 06-18-2016 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 06-18-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Who knows they might be fighting the same battle as the rest of us.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
Mera, how cool would it be if you had an amazing non alcoholic drink, something delicious and very Italian that a tourist wouldn't know about, and gave them something like that?

My partner and I got married a year ago. We had our wedding night in a really nice hotel. They gave us a bottle of champagne. That kinda sucked, even though u knew they meant well. On our anniversary, we went to another nice inn. This time I was prepared, we brought elderflower bubbly my partner brought back from England.
Hey Wehav, as I read this I thought about the ginger drink that Mera has mentioned as her favorite since getting sober.

This summer, I have been making ginger, lime, apple juice smoothies. I put in lots of ice cubes and carrot, or kale or anything healthy I have around. It has a nice bite to it.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good idea on the different drink. We have something here, I can't even remember the name of it actually, but it is a bitter, soda like drink, very refreshing when it is hot. I've never seen it anywhere else. I'll go get them some of that and take it next time I go check in.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That sounds perfect!