Notices

Extremely Bored

Old 06-18-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey there. I am also a young man in recovery. One of the most important things that I had to do was to develop a recovery plan. The first year of my sobriety I stayed sober by the grace of god without a recovery program. I don't know how much longer I would have stayed sober without some sort of program. Alcoholics Anonymous is a program for living which allows me to live the quality of life that I am living today. We are both very young(I am 25). I got sober when I was 23 and the past 3 years I have been sober have been the best years of my life. Addiction is life and death. I know I have another drink in me, but if I ever relapsed I may never get sober again so I am going to give recovery my best shot today. You can do it too. It would be a shame to let your life go to waste.

SoberLife
Old 06-18-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Better bored than drunk.

Actually I enjoy what some would call a boring day. Spells serinity for me sometimes.

Mountainman
Old 06-18-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Yes, there's lots of meetings here.

I've lived in this city for about 30 years now, most of it sober, and I can't say I've ever really been bored except for when I relapsed for about 4.5 of those years. I was bored when I first stopped again, because I'd let all my other interests go while drinking. It took awhile to get out of that mindset and become interested in life and other things again.

It does take some imagination and willingness to try out new interests or pick up old ones again. Going to AA meetings helped me find other people like me who do all kinds of things without drinking as well as helping me work the 12 steps to stay sober happily.

I might still see my neighbours or people I used to drink with partying like they were last night and get a momentary twinge of missing it, but I know today they're all feeling pretty crappy. Never forgetting exactly what made me want to stop again keeps me on track. I wasted so much time being drunk or recovering from being drunk when I was in that lifestyle.

Life is definitely not boring anymore.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here KC - does anything grab ya

D
Old 06-18-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

AA is a source of many sober activities and also friends that want to do activities sober. I had to make new friends also and am still adjusting to sober life. Where I live there are young people's AA groups that are mainly in their 20's. Church, health clubs, dog parks, bookstores, home renovations, classes . . . Just some ideas.

Lilly