Notices

I have the tools to deal with this but feeling guilty

Old 06-14-2016, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have the tools to deal with this but feeling guilty

After allowing some things to bother me for a few days about my daughters choices, I blew up and told her to "get the f--- out". And now she is spending most of her time staying with friends and with her married ex. She just came home from class and took her boys out with her. Its 11:00 and they are 9 months and 2 years old. When pressed, she told me she was going to "his" house. "He" is her 9 month old sons dad. He is married with 4 kids, cheats on his wife (with my daughter) and 2 other women. I ask
Old 06-14-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tate9685 View Post
After allowing some things to bother me for a few days about my daughters choices, I blew up and told her to "get the f--- out". And now she is spending most of her time staying with friends and with her married ex. She just came home from class and took her boys out with her. Its 11:00 and they are 9 months and 2 years old. When pressed, she told me she was going to "his" house. "He" is her 9 month old sons dad. He is married with 4 kids, cheats on his wife (with my daughter) and 2 other women. I ask
Her if she is a sister wife now....? What in the world? Its crazy. I know I have no control so I have to let go but sheis taking my grandsons in that environment. IF I had not blown up at her about her lack of housework here and having some OTHeR GUY at our house she would not be doing this....or would she? Bottom line I shouldn't have said that to her.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You need to set boundaries, but also do it in a sensible way. Can you discuss the situation calmly with her?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott. I will talk to her tomorrow. I have told her I don't want her male friends hanging out here and don't want them around the babies. She is just so desperate to have a man in her life. Im not going to drink over this. Im really thinking about going back to aa this weekend.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you aren't planning on drinking, and coming here to talk it through instead is a great choice by you. If AA has helped in the past I think going back would be a great idea too.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow that is a tough situation. I'm not sure what I would do if I were in the same situation with my daughter. Having the little one's to consider makes that tough.

In talking with her, what if you approached things from the angle of being concerned for her (rather than directly pointing out the obvious that she is making terrible choices)? What I mean is, clearly she has extremely low self esteem. Maybe suggesting she get some help, talk with a professional about how to learn to become her own woman. Are you an alcoholic? Were you when she was growing up? As an ACOA myself I have struggled my whole life with very low self esteem and codie behavior. I too have looked to men to 'complete' me or save me.

Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really like the idea you have about going to a meeting; it is so important for you to take care of yourself during this tough time. And glad you are posting