SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day one (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/392944-day-one.html)

Jennifersnapped 06-13-2016 08:07 PM

Day one

Scared of the journey. This will be a complete lifestyle change. Still withdrawing and detoxing. I have a feeling that later this week will be worse than today. Mostly just tired and so depressed I can barely move. Life is hanging on by a thread. It is 100% because of my alcohol addiction. 26 year old female who works in a nightclub and has drank heavily daily for about 3 years. Don't even remember what life is like not drunk 😔

Coldfusion 06-13-2016 08:13 PM

:welcome

This is a great place for support and ideas on sober living. Read around and post often!

August252015 06-13-2016 08:17 PM

Glad to see you here. I am older than you but I too spent the last years working in restaurants/bars- tough.

Hang in on these first days, especially - if you can find a way to sleep, to make the days go more quickly til you feel better, it can help. Drink a lot of water or Gatorade or whatever that doesn't have caffeine, and try to eat.

You can and will feel so much better if you keep going.

ScottFromWI 06-13-2016 08:19 PM

Welcome Jennifer! The first few days can be rough, but withdrawals are only temporary. Don't be afraid to seek help locally if it gets too bad, are you with someone who can help if you need it?

Soberwolf 06-13-2016 11:03 PM

Welcome Jennifer

Opivotal 06-14-2016 04:38 AM

Welcome Jennifer!

I was pretty miserable the first week.

Hang in there, I assure you it's worth it. :)

Easy2slip 06-14-2016 05:56 AM

Welcome Jennifer.
It's tough first few days ....But so worth it!

Take care of yourself by eating right and drinking lots of water.
Flush it out.

I spent the first days pretty much in bed... Figured rest was important.. Watched a ton of netflix

thomas11 06-14-2016 07:36 AM

Are you still working in the nightclub? Welcome to SR. I believe you will be very happy living a sober life.

FreeOwl 06-14-2016 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifersnapped (Post 5998780)
Scared of the journey. This will be a complete lifestyle change. Still withdrawing and detoxing. I have a feeling that later this week will be worse than today. Mostly just tired and so depressed I can barely move. Life is hanging on by a thread. It is 100% because of my alcohol addiction. 26 year old female who works in a nightclub and has drank heavily daily for about 3 years. Don't even remember what life is like not drunk 😔

It's OK to be afraid.

It's normal to be scared.

We've all been afraid of the unknown.

But the leap into that unknown with full commitment is the faith we need to heal.

It's so much better to be free.

Welcome.

:grouphug:

nme13 06-14-2016 07:54 AM

I am 23 and it's also my 1st day. I'm feeling many of the same things you are. Not sure how to go about not drinking when temptations are around, but I need to get out of this depression. I'm here for you lady!

ccam1973 06-14-2016 09:23 AM

Welcome to SR Jennifer. Glad you found us. What is your plan to stay sober? Many of us here find it easier if we have a plan to help us through the day and maintain not drinking; a contingency plan also helps for when you are really craving a drink.

Welcome aboard.

CaseyW 06-14-2016 09:46 AM

Welcome to SR, Jennifersnapped. I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the class of June 2016 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are also newly sober. Congratulations on choosing a better way of life!

ZenLifter 06-14-2016 10:00 AM

Welcome Jennifer :) I can relate...I was a bartender for a couple of years when I was about your age. That time in my life is mostly just a blur...

zoomi 06-14-2016 10:01 AM

hey good luck and stay strong!

jryan19982 06-14-2016 10:01 AM

First week sucks! No doubt about it. Just do what you can to hang in there for the first week. Then it starts to get easier.

tate9685 06-14-2016 07:40 PM

Welcome. I was a bartender in my early twenties too. I used to drink while serving and then go out after. You will feel much better sober but just give it some time.