Notices

Weight Gain at nearly 90 day mark

Old 06-14-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Were you underweight when you quit? I'm also concerned about weight and a huge reason I'm quitting is because I've gotten too big for my liking. I'm just now outside my BMI healthy range and the last time I was there was two weeks after I gave birth.

I do know healthy eating and not starving yourself is better in the long run. What was your diet like when you quit? Was it pretty sparse except for the wine?

For me, I have always eaten regularly so I never received alcohol calories for food calories. Hence, I ate a lot more calories so mine will be a deficit. Plus I just took myself off some medication that made me gain 10 lbs. in a few months with a ravenous appetite, so that is where a lot of mine came from.

The adage seems to be those that overindulged (especially with junk food) and drank lose weight while those that used alcohol instead of food gain weight. Do you see this as true in your case?
Old 06-14-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I feel ya madgirl. I have done no carb for 5 weeks now, and drink tons of water, have lost some, but not as fast I guess as I wanted.
Low carb works for me, because I can eat a lot of the things I really enjoy, minus the carbs, but there is are low carb options for that.
I think once you find out what works for you, it will all fall in to place.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Camery03 View Post
I feel ya madgirl. I have done no carb for 5 weeks now, and drink tons of water, have lost some, but not as fast I guess as I wanted.
Low carb works for me, because I can eat a lot of the things I really enjoy, minus the carbs, but there is are low carb options for that.
I think once you find out what works for you, it will all fall in to place.
Did you gain when you quit? I'm in the early days and want to hear people's experiences. Are you male/female? Active/non-active? Fit before quitting? Drink instead of eating? Drink how much/how long? I'm trying to figure out which way this is going to go for me, I'm a bit obsessive.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wasnt underweight while drinking, but I wasnt eating much. Many days I was hungover and working like a dog at my stressful position at the time in super corporate world, so in terms of calories it was less. The first thirty days of sobriety were largely spent awake (very little sleep at night) and I did eat sugar (ice cream, chocolate) to stave off cravings.
The last few months my diet has been restrictive again but still Ive gotten puffier.
Hoping my new super clean diet works.
Cant deal with feeling uncomfortable in my clothes and in my skin AND fend off alcohol cravings (although those have subsided thank God)
Old 06-14-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I gained when I quit, but only because I was eating crappy. And when I drank, it was getting bad. Lots of vodka, and lots of fast food. ( Some days I wasn't even sure how I drove to get it, but that is another story)
I was probably at my heaviest when my drinking got the worse it ever was, so to tack on an extra tonnage when drinking and eating poorly didn't help.
I have never been a real exercise fan, wouldn't consider myself "unfit" before I started drinking, but now, since I am heavy, I am not as active as I once was. Mostly because of my weight, but I also developed some health issues as a result of heavy drinking, low vitamins, dehydration, etc.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You mentioned Publix, my fave! I love their salad bar. Can you also get ready to eat things to have on hand? I haven't cooked except once (scrambled eggs so not that much cooking involved) since I stopped drinking; I rely on little or no assembly required foods. For me, having healthy things on hand makes it easier to eat consistently and make good choices. If you like chicken salad, Publix has a great one they make with Boar's Head rotisserie chicken, dried red and yellow cran and just a little cucumber and mayo. I love it with Stacy's pita strips. I also like their simple turkey and Swiss sandwiches (I can cut into half or thirds if I just have to eat something but don't really feel like it) or their half Caesar with chicken, also things in their prepared section in the deli.

Sounds like you keep fruit on hand which is a staple in my house too; I also try to buy avocado to do on toasted Eng muffins and have that or a piece of string cheese with my fruit. Lower sodium soups could be a good idea. I still find that all of this is the kind of stuff I need to have around to "make" myself eat (and snack, once or twice a day!!) every 4-6 hrs.

Hang in there - I feel like the unhealthy stuff is moving out of my body through all its parts as time goes by, and the waves of good stuff are continuing to come in place. You can do this!!
Old 06-14-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Cant deal with feeling uncomfortable in my clothes and in my skin AND fend off alcohol cravings (although those have subsided thank God)

Ya gotta. When I'm feeling low about myself, which can be often if I let myself, I try to remember that no one else is as focused on me as much as I am. In hot yoga I have to stare in ceiling to floor, all around, mirrors wearing almost nothing. Talk about a practice in acceptance. Gut just sticking out there for all to see. And guess what? No one cares. But I do understand believe me. I was put on my first diet at 8 years old by my 95 lb mother (who still weighs 95 lbs). A few times I wasn't allowed to join my parents and 4 brothers for dinner. Pretty awful. So bad body image? I has it.

I know what works for me is a higher fat, low carb, moderate protein, no sugar approach. I love fruit and am eating a lot of it right now (probably why I've gained weight) but it should be a treat when losing weight. Its still sugar, even if its healthy. The high fat approach keeps me full (so I put dressings on my salads, always. Not a boat load but some....otherwise, pretty boring). The trick is, LOW carb, no sugar. I'm working on it!

Hang in there.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So is it kind of a toss-up if you gain or not? What if someone honestly does the right things (eats better, and never deprived themselves of food while drinking), works out, and just doesn't drink? Does it seem to matter the length of time someone drank or how often? During my heaviest I drank (binged) about three nights a week. I'm currently on a thyroid med for depression (not thyroid related problems at all, it augments it), and scared of what will happen. Weight to me is a big trigger for my depression and a huge reason (though definitely not the only reason) I'm trying to stay quit. I can't afford for it to go up without seriously flipping out. I can be disciplined with my food/exercise, but at least want to see results for that, NOT the other way around. Like I said, OBSESSION.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

This too shall pass.

At 90 days I was still pretty crazy (most people are). Everything was in a state of flux, and everything was a big deal. Weight, smoking, employment, my failing marriage, and god knows what else.

Every day the priority was don't use & go to a meeting.

Believe it or not, we stabilize over time.

Have some cake, (but share, because I like cake and so does my girlfriend).
Old 06-14-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wow you are right IvanMike. That is exactly how I feel! state of flux - yes.

Babescake I had hoped my jeans would all be loose and that by 90 days Id be strutting around a lean, bright and healthy version of myself - eh - not so lean per se but certainly healthier, most certainly more stable and definitely more confident with people. All hugely positive - I just want my clothes to be comfortable again. As far as what will happen to you, I think you just have to stay sober and find out - tweak things as you go
Old 06-14-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Fricka thanks for sharing - wish I could take your hot yoga class, I bet you deliver a soulful one!
Old 06-14-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'll second seeing a doctor, but as counter intuitive as it may seem you need to eat more just as others have already suggested. As long as the calories are healthy you'll find yourself in a better place in short order. Also, at least for a few weeks try tracking everything you eat. Often the nibble here or there add up during the day. There are numerous online trackers that can help with this. That written, I won't lie. At the beginning it can be a PIA, but if you can gain some knowledge then it's worth it.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You may have been dehydrated while drinking and your body is still adjusting to the new you.
I know its hard, but try not to focus on it and stress over it - that doesn't help. Eat normal healthy foods and you're weight will drop. Just think about the harsh environment all your organs and interior were in for so long! They need to be treated kindly - don't starve them.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was gonna ask if maybe you are taking any meds? I gained 50 lbs in 3 months when I was on Zoloft a few years ago, I quit taking it and lost the weight but during the last few years of my drinking I never ate hardly anything, now not drinking weight's at a standstill but as mentioned its gonna take a bit to sort itself out
Old 06-14-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Not taking any medication.
That is a good point about chronic dehydration - hadn't considered that.