Notices

Just thought id say hi. Day 2

Old 06-13-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just thought id say hi. Day 2

Hi all. My story is probably familiar to most people on the site. I grew up in north east england and there was a massive drinking culture among my peers and we drank regular from age 13. To cut a long story short 20 plus years the longest i remained sober was 6month during which i began running joined a club and became a half decent runner completing marathons and even an ultra. During this period i was at my happiest but the alcohol was never far away from my mind, people at work talking about how many beers they had for later or people at running club celebrating with a beer or 2. Inevitably during a relationship problem where the time i was running became an issue i quit running and being sober. I have now been binge drinking most nights for the last 6 month between 8 and 10 lagers a night. I have become overweight and unhappy again. I have in the past 2 weeks started running club again and even raced Sunday but felt awful as i had sank 11 beers saturday night. I decided that enough was enough and i am now on day 2. In the past i have had numerous false starts of 4 days maybe 5 then the weekend comes around or a hard day with the kids or work. At the moment i feel dedicated and want to rediscover my fitness and running standard of 6 month ago.

Thanks Andy
Old 06-13-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Andy,

Well done on taking the step to sobriety again. You're right that the running helps keep you on the right track, it's helped me but there is no way I could do an ultra!!

You said you were the happiest when you were running , so you know what you've got to do!
Old 06-13-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Andyberny!

Sounds like sobriety will solve some of your problems. Getting back to a healthy diet and resuming your running is a great decision.

Congratulations on day 2.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Andy!

I'm in the same boat. Felt great and stayed sober for 4 months after I started running in 5ks and 10ks. Quit running and the drinking shortly followed. Great job starting back up again
Old 06-13-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 2 Andy. You can get back to where you were.

Glad you found us.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum.

Congrats to 2 days... keep it going...one day at a time.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody, there is a definite link between running and staying sober 4 me it just took me 4 month to realise this, i think this is because when you first start redrinking its under control but gradually it creeps back up on you and i started hiding the amount i drank and needing more and more to get the buzz. Obviously the more i drank the worse i felt the next day and drink became my medicine as soon as the working day finished i would pick the kids up and whilst they played out id make tea and drink 3 or 4 beers. This then added up to another 5 -8 when my partner came home. My partner is t total and may drink once a year i on the other hand have a switch that once its turned on it jams and i struggle to turn it off. I never labelled myself as an alcoholic as i was in denial, didnt skip work due to drinking never fell down drunk or became violent etc etc however i now realise that i have a problem with alcohol.
I will be focusing my energy back into my running and diet now,
Old 06-13-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done for finding your way here Andy, and congrats on 2 days of sobriety. Getting back to running and staying fit sounds like a good goal to be working towards.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Andy, I'm sure the running is the answer. Run, run run, train and train. Plan to go for a training jog when your partner gets home. Maybe will help you in not having those few starter drinks while preparing meal.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Andy
I am the same about hot yoga....definitely keeps me focused. I run too but not too much....I could do an ultra....if I had a week to do it

I do need other components in my recovery however if it's to be sustainable.

Good luck and look forward to hearing about your journey.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Andy,

Nice to meet you mate.

Always helpful to have a partner who doesn't drink too - my wife used to and will if out without me (two or three max tho) but has been fully supportive and that makes such a difference.

Definitely a massive help focusing on diet and fitness - you know how good that feels from doing it previously whilst sober - aim for that again and no matter what happens don't pick up that first drink, keep that as your focus and if necessary take a look at situations where you may feel tempted - definitely get out for that run when your partner gets home as that maybe a potential trigger at that time of the evening.

Fantastic that you have support / your family around you and something to focus on - many people will tell you to have a plan and that is most definitely the way forward to make this work.

Stay close to this place and keep reading and posting - would also suggest you joining the current June class if you haven't already - it's great to have support from people at the same stage as you.

Good luck mate and look forward to seeing you around.

All the best
Andy
Old 06-14-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Andy,

Stay clean sir. It is the only way we were designed to live.

Not sure what would have happened if it were not for exercise.

Pretty much the reason I quit.

I was a physical wreck. Mentally, still seeing positive changes.

Years of addiction shaped my world. Surprisingly, I did ok.

Who knows what would of happened if I was a non drinker.

Might be dead.

I have a few regrets though.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 3

Well day 3 has started and its been hell, tortured off my 7 year old daughter who was tired so the stress levels are high even before i get to work, the plus side is im not hungover and i have packed a healthy bait and its running club tonight so im positive that i will wake up still sober on day 4. Thanks for all of the kind words and support everybody. Also my biggest problems in the past when i have got sober are disturbed sleep and an insane itching when im lying in bed so if anybody has any tips to combat this id be grateful.

Thanks Andy.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Andy
Old 06-14-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yip kids know how to raise the stress levels don't they and the mornings are a drag most days - to the point of stressed before leaving the house on many occasions, my daughter is 13 next month and to be honest getting up gets worse haha - altho this morning first exam and she was up of her own accord and as pleasant as could be, made for a pleasant change.

Keep going & running :-)
Old 06-14-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 days Andy. It will get better!
Old 06-14-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Andy,not much advice I can give as only on day 3...good luck..
Old 06-14-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Exercise and SR are what have been my saving grace. Day 2 is great. Keep it up.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sustained sobriety requires a wholesale lifestyle change. It sounds like you are fully capable of that with your 6 months and running club. I would think getting back to that and remaining vigilant would serve you well for a rewarding a sober life.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

No med. Advice here. If you need a dr. See one.

My legs tingle sometimes, but it goes away after a bit.

Your circulation is changing for the better, so you might have more sensation.

When I was drinking one or both of my legs would go numb while in bed, beside a list of other nasty symptoms.

Main thing is get clean. Then change your life to not include drinking.

Checking in here helps w accounting.