Notices

It's terrible but the solutions isn't booze

Old 06-13-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's terrible but the solutions isn't booze

Hello all:

I posted about a week ago. My mom is here visiting and I was nervous about her being here. Well, it has been terrible. Luckily she's on a diet so no booze around me but my daughter and husband are not being nice to her and she has told me that she is never coming back. I am heart broken about this. Yes, my mom has her faults but she's here only a few weeks a year, can't my husband be nice for that time? And my daughter... She's 5 and she doesn't want to be around her at all.

All this is breaking my heart and yesterday I kept having drinking thoughts. I don't want to cave so I'm posting about it but geez. This just blows!

I really don't know what to do. I'm stuck in the middle. Now my daughter is really sick and that adds to the stress.

The solution is NOT a drink! I keep repeating this.

I'm just so sad about this...
Old 06-13-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know your back story, but I'm sorry things are tough. And no, drinking will not help....

So the hub is being an ass. But your 5 year old doesn't like Grandma? My grandma was a complete bitch (the other killed herself before I knew her) but I still was kind of fascinated by her and wouldn't mistreat her. At 5 I don't think I really understood...just thought she was old or something. I'm just surprised I guess that your daughter is being mean.

Can you and your Mom go out of town somewhere together? Let hub take care of the kiddo? Maybe next time visit her and leave the fam for a week or so?
Old 06-13-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really don't understand why me daughter is like this. She says she's not used to her (she lives overseas) but we FaceTime everyday and have close communication. My mom tries to buy her affection, that's how she shows love.

I'm really hurt about my hubby. She's been nothing but generous to him...
Old 06-13-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your right drinking is never the answer stay close with us while you feel like this
Old 06-13-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Your right drinking is never the answer stay close with us while you feel like this
I'm trying and I know. I keep repeating it over and over but my AV is already planning for Friday after she leaves.

Arghhh!
Old 06-13-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you feel stuck in the middle and it's making this visit from your mother very stressful by the sound of it.

My advice about your daughter would be to not push her to liking your mother. Their relationship is theirs and you should allow it to flourish or not. In my opinion that's one of the many things that is out of your control. It's great that you FaceTime and keep contact, but allow your daughter to have her feelings and opinion.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry that you feel stuck in the middle and it's making this visit from your mother very stressful by the sound of it.

My advice about your daughter would be to not push her to liking your mother. Their relationship is theirs and you should allow it to flourish or not. In my opinion that's one of the many things that is out of your control. It's great that you FaceTime and keep contact, but allow your daughter to have her feelings and opinion.
This is SO true. They have to build their relationship. My mom has never been sweet little grandma and really has missed on a lot. I had a conversation about it when my kid was 3 but I don't want to tell her what kind of grandma she should be. It really hurts me but it's beyond my control. I can't scold my daughter for not liking her. It's just a tough situation and AV is having a field day.

Tomorrow I will have 4 months straight. Trying to hold on.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm not sure how your addiction is convincing you that all this chaos and family drama is deserving of alcohol, but it would be a shame if you added to the chaos by drinking and lost your sobriety.

You can't control how people react to other people, can't control who people like or don't like. But you can control how you react to the lack of control that surrounds you.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hold on by logging in and keep reaching out play the tape

Have you tried urgesurfing?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html