Notices

You guys were right.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You guys were right.

I few people on this site mentioned that once I quit taking my pain medication that I might crave alcohol to replace the chemicals that previously occupied the pleasure centers of the brain. I think there is some truth in that, as I had a few thoughts of unwinding with a few drinks this weekend. Did not do it of course, but I haven't had that "feeling" in a very long time. Must stay vigilant.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep, but you can do that because your self-awareness of AV
and how powerful it can be has really grown in leaps and bounds.

I put in more gym time if I can when that happens.
I forget if you've tried yoga--hot yoga (in particular) kicks your arse
and really purges the urges right out of me if you have
a center in your area.
Any yoga will do that to a certain extent.
That kind is the kicker for me.

Don't expect to be even remotely good at it in the beginning.
As an athlete, I thought I'd just be able to do it.
Not so much. . .

Glad you are on top of Mr. Crafty AV Jeff
Old 06-12-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I feel for ya Jeff. I sometimes get cravings at random points of the day and it can be very difficult to deal with. Having been sober a year and a half with two slips of a day each I obviously wasn't immune to the temptations. Sometimes I get cravings while driving or at work, just to "unwind". I always try to do something to get my mind off of it. I have done more house and car projects in the last 20 months than I have in ten years. I have been going to the gym and I have a saltwater fish tank that keeps me occupied when I feel I am getting thoughts of alcohol.

You will get through it and be completely clean
Old 06-12-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hawkeye: I saw so many people walking down to the lake today with their coolers full of beer and whatnot, the thought was tempting. Just not worth it at this point.

SVA: Funny you mention a saltwater fish tank, I want to get one. I think they are cool as hell.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Hawkeye: I saw so many people walking down to the lake today with their coolers full of beer and whatnot, the thought was tempting. Just not worth it at this point.

SVA: Funny you mention a saltwater fish tank, I want to get one. I think they are cool as hell.
Definitely not worth it! Glad you avoided temptation!!!
Old 06-12-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hey Jeff, I'm really glad you're off the pain meds.

Not surprised you're having some cravings -- it takes a while for the head & the body to re-learn where to look for relief.

I agree w/Hawkeye that you might find some pleasure in yoga/meditation.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Hawkeye: I saw so many people walking down to the lake today with their coolers full of beer and whatnot, the thought was tempting. Just not worth it at this point. SVA: Funny you mention a saltwater fish tank, I want to get one. I think they are cool as hell.
A friend at AA today just said how he "romanticizes the hell out of day-drinking." And then he said he never had fun drinking during the day like you might imagine it would be. All his day drinking was inside, alone, with the shades drawn.....I bet if you really thought about how drinking would be it would not be the romantic good time your AV has been taunting you with.
A good reminder for me too, thanks.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey hawkeye
So glad there's another hot yoga enthusiast. I got certified to teach too. Love it.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jeff, each time you recognize the false lure of booze and reject it, you grow sober muscles. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-12-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Jeff
Old 06-12-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Salt water fish are fun and rewarding, been working on mine for about four years. Not to hard to deal with once you get it going but I do recommend a tank controller to automate lights, pumps, heaters ect...
Old 06-12-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You've come a long way Jeff. Good for you on being aware of these thoughts and acknowledging them. if you sweep them under the rug, they will come back with a vengence.

Never let your guard down. Stay strong!
Old 06-12-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Good job. If you do find yourself romancing the drink, romance it all the way to the blackout, toilet and hangover. That ended my craving for sure.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff
You have truly grown beyond belief the past year.
Your first many months indicated a dubious struggle and despite the fact that we were all rooting for you I couldn't have predicted how strong you would become over a matter of months.
You are a true inspiration and you should be aware of that. You give me hope; you've covered some difficult terrain.
I'm back at single digits after a good run and look to your example frequently.
Congratulations and I pray you stay strong. You are so much improved and should feel so good for it.
Jonathan
Old 06-13-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hope you're doing well today Jeff.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zufrieden View Post
Hi Jeff
You have truly grown beyond belief the past year.
Your first many months indicated a dubious struggle and despite the fact that we were all rooting for you I couldn't have predicted how strong you would become over a matter of months.
You are a true inspiration and you should be aware of that. You give me hope; you've covered some difficult terrain.
I'm back at single digits after a good run and look to your example frequently.
Congratulations and I pray you stay strong. You are so much improved and should feel so good for it.
Jonathan
Jonathon, thank you for the kinds words. I will say that even when I was binge drinking every weekend, I enjoyed being sober. And I enjoy being sober now. I like the way I feel most of the time. I only bring it up because it helps to like being sober in order to stay sober. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wonderful job, Jeff. I had the same issue when I weaned off pain meds a couple years ago, but it was before I had any real struggle with alcohol (and it became my first one). The PAWS makes it more difficult, I spiraled right down into depression and alcohol misuse/abuse as a replacement. I got a handle on it for awhile before it came roaring back.
Keep going, you're doing awesome.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shockozulu View Post
Good job. If you do find yourself romancing the drink, romance it all the way to the blackout, toilet and hangover. That ended my craving for sure.
What a statement , I love that .

Jeff the thoughts come and go they always will I suspect . Today I went into a cafe with my son , he had a glass of stella I had a coffee and can honestly say it didn't bother me( not on this occasion at least but I know how powerful the thoughts can be so i'm not being smug) . Life needs to go on .