Notices

I want today to be the day

Old 06-10-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want today to be the day

I posted a couple days ago, but I'm still struggling with anxiety. I went to the doctor, but wasn't honest, because I'm ashamed. I found myself last night back to old habits, and now I don't know what do. I'm reaching out to someone close to me, to say hey, I need help. I'm worried. I'm going to tell my job, hey I need to goto the hospital. I'm just tired of fighting and I can't do it alone. I just felt like posting here cuz the people are so great and nice. Always supportive. All I have to lose is my health if I keep up drinking.

Thanks for listening
Old 06-10-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey!

It can be hard the first time being honest to your doctor but if you have a good doctor then he or she can be an invaluable resource. There are medicines for anxiety which aren't benzos if you are worried about that and if they know you are detoxing then they can help prescribe medicines that can make it a lot easier and safer to go cold turkey.

You can do this! Telling your doctor, your job, and your loved ones is a great way to get the emotional support that you will need when you quit. Have you considered getting a substance abuse counselor to help you navigate the ups and downs of first getting sober? I can tell by your post that you want to stop drinking so bad, so why not do it? What do you have to lose by getting sober? Give yourself a chance of freedom- it isn't like once you try you are locked in for life! Although I don't think you would want to go back after you truly created a strong and solid recovery.

Hang in there, you can do this!
Old 06-10-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you posted and that you're reaching out. I know you can do this and it sounds like you're ready. Maybe you could consider going back to the dr and being honest about your situation? Stay close to SR because we do understand.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you so much for that. I def wanna stop drinking. I've been through this before, and I know this feeling! I've been only drinking for a week, but I know where it's headed, and I could lose everything. But I wanna keep everything, I love being non anxious and sober, I love being able to drive around freely, in my head thinking "go ahead, pull me over cuz i'm sober" lol. It's serious suffering what alcohol does to ones brain. I need to look into a substance abuse therapist! I never thought of that. I've thought about doing out patient, it's hard cuz my work hours are night, hopefully I can find one that does mornings? if they exist. I just gotta bite the bullet
Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am a recovering heroin addict and I think the same thing "Go ahead pull me over I'm sober and don't have anything on me". My initial reaction is still A COP but then I laugh at myself because I have been sober for a little over 10 months, I don't need to worry about a cop.

I love having a substance abuse counselor, she specializes in addiction plus has gone through all the normal education to become a counselor so she is on point with what I am experiencing and feeling. I also have a doctor that specializes in addiction and a psychiatrist that specializes in addiction (I have bipolar type 2 disorder, generalized anxiety, and depression) and all three are in the same building so they can all communicate with each other and discuss my progress and any set backs. I truly believe that the more people you have behind you- doctors, family, sober friends, internet forums, meetings, etc. the better. You can never have enough support!
Old 06-10-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's very true. I have generalized anxiety and depression as well. I've always enjoyed alcohol too much because it's masks all of that. I just hate the ruining your life part. I can deal with my anxiety much better without alcohol. When I was in in-patient years ago, everyone saw that I drank basically because I couldn't deal with anxiety. I'm not hesitant to throw it away. I just am scared to ask for help.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd also suggest going back to the doctor and being honest. Your condition is a very treatable issue and nothing to be ashamed of. You can only get the help you need if you let the right people know, right? Have you considered talking to a therapist to help with your anxiety?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you are guys are right. I should go back to the doctor today and be honest. They can only cure what's actually going on. I need to find a therapist with anxiety as well. I recently moved. So, I don't know what's good and what's not. Someone close to me knows this area, and I'm going to tell her everything shortly. I have a good feeling today, is the start of the rest of my life.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

in '91 i went to hr because i wanted to see a therapist for help with my depression

my first experience with self help

a few months later i went to my first aa meeting

my life is much better now

gettin' help is cool!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

going to talk to ask for help! I'll update how things go later, thanks for the support!
Old 06-10-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I drank for my anxiety and depression too. When I quit, I learned that instead of helping, alcohol was causing my anxiety and depression.

Everything is so much easier to deal with straight and sober. It's gonna be a little rocky for a while, but it levels out, and then gets better. Then it gets a lot better. You can do it too.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you on reaching out for help Alltowell. Like the others have said, use all of the help you can get a hold of.

Stick around this community, it has done wonders for a ton of us here.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you have decided to talk to your doctor. I also suffer from anxiety, and it has lessened since I have been sober.
Let us know how it goes!