Notices

Newcoming in here, not new to getting sober

Old 06-08-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcoming in here, not new to getting sober

I wanted to introduce myself. I found myself viewing the forums and site for information and to just read, especially on those long nights of insomnia after not drinking -- so thought I would finally introduce myself.

I am a 25-year old (very soon to be 26) female and I have know that I had problems with alcohol since I was young. I took my first drink at age 14 and my the time I was 20 had a serious problem. I knew I wasn't normal, but at that time, still maintained a good job and was going to school part-time so I like glamorize it as functioning. It was anything from it. I liked to drink alone and or with one other friend. By the time I was 21, I was binge-drinking every weekend to the point of blackout. I ended up arrested and in the drunk tank one weekend, but still, didn't reach out for help.

I ended up losing my good job at the age of 24. I remained unemployed for nearly a year and never bothered to get help; job searches were half-hearted -- I would set up an interview in a few days of sobriety and then come around the interview date just not show up because I was either drunk or too hungover. I found a decent job again in February 2015 and was at the time living with a family member for support. I maintained sobriety for about three months and got on that "pink cloud" and ended up falling off the wagon around the beginning of June. I continued drinking over the summer but did maintain keeping my job.

I ended up going on a binge at the end of August and ending up in detox in the hospital. I had no idea what had occurred for several days or how and why I went to the hospital but I called it a means of help and went with it. I did 90-in-90 in AA locally and maintained sobriety for 3 months. Unfortunately, I ended up drinking soon after the 90 days.

I maintained the job but continued drinking and stopped going to AA in early 2016. I just came off a bender in early-May and ended up losing my job. I found a new job in mid-May and just had another bender from June 1-6 so lost that job too. Now, I find myself unemployed again and guilty. I ended up going to the ER when I came down on June 6 as I do have a history of high blood pressure and was having a tight feeling in my chest that I have not experienced or at least remember experiencing. Unfortunately, the ER was less helpful than I hoped. The detox unit that I had been to in 2015 was completely full that night and they just sort of shrugged when I asked for any other options. They gave me a script for valium to come down at home.

Ended up coming home after they monitored me for about 4-5 hours and cleared me to leave. Yesterday was pretty bad, very lethargic, nauseous and high heart rate. I managed to sleep for most of the morning today (mind you, with very bad vivid dreams) and some auditory hallucinations. Ended up having a shower this afternoon and feel much better - heart rate is down and I am able to keep food or water down. It's nothing new to me by now but it's reassuring to hear other stories and find some huge similarities.

I'm wanting to be sober this time and want to thank you for listening in advance. I love this support that is here at any time of day. I will most likely be heading back out to AA once I get through the withdrawal in the next day or two.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi DJ
Old 06-08-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome dj
Old 06-08-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Just letting you know you're not alone at 25! I too am 25 about to turn 26.

All the best with your recovery!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Welcome dj
Please keep reading and posting. There is so much info here. And yes, it is comforting to read something someone else has posted that makes you feel not so alone or not so different. Lots of experience here, for sure. I am a binge drinker and an "alone" drinker too. AA is a good plan, but for the alone times - make sure you plan what you are going to do or just some things to look forward to. I've rediscovered reading which I very much enjoyed before I was always drinking so much that I didn't. Also pay attention to getting lots of good food and find other beverages to fall in love with. I had a love affair with apple juice there for a solid week. I also love coffee and tea, like most everyone else around.
I wish you the best and can't wait for the good posts. Also check out threads here that you can post just to check in, like the June monthly thread or the 24 hour connection thread where you commit to not drink for 24 hrs. Simple but it's helpful. Take care §
Old 06-08-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At this point I think you pretty much know what you need to do. Its time to get serious about remaining sober. Keep in mind, these episodes and withdrawals never get better, only worse. So if you keep binging you don't have many positives to look forward to in that regard. Do you think you can enter a rehab? What is your plan to remain sober long term?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you joined us, DJS. This is a great place to talk everything over with those who've been through it. You never have to feel alone. I'd give anything to go back to my 20's & be honest with myself. I kept going for decades, with disastrous results. You can do it - we're glad you're here.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome DJS