Notices

Anxiety... can anyone help?

Old 06-08-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety... can anyone help?

Well, I have been surviving quite well until this very moment. I am miserable with anxiety and nothing will take the edge off.

The worst thing about my anxiety is the physical reaction to it. I have a tendency to hold my breath, making for shallow breathing. I can't take deep breaths unless I am able to yawn.

The feeling in my chest is horribly uncomfortable and is what I cannot stand about anxiety the most. Nothing I try or have tried takes the edge off, with the exception of drink.

Drink always provided instant relief. Now that I have decided not to drink, I don't know what to do to ease my discomfort.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about a brisk walk or a run? Physical activity does wonders sometimes, then you know that your heart beats fast because you're active, not because of anxiety.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Contact your doctor. There are many medications that can help with anxiety and many are non-habit forming. Stay away from the benzos....they are very addictive.

A walk
Fresh air
Drink a large glass of cool water
Eat something yummy
A hot shower
Sometimes a good cry helps

Good luck...it gets better and easier the more time you get under your belt!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

1. Take a deep breath.
  2. Accept that you're anxious.
  3. Realize that your brain is playing tricks on you.
  4. Question your thoughts.
  5. Use a calming visualization.
  6. Be an observer — without judgment.
  7. Use positive self-talk.
  8. Focus on right now.

You'll note that drinking to seek instant relief isn't on the list.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Speaking with your doc is always the best start, I went off Benzo's for Anxiety years ago after I learned Meditation while in detox, it works wonders for me, walking and doing just about anything outside with my dog also helps and often works.

All the best
Andrew
Old 06-08-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I am feeling some better already. Just writing about it helped. I won't drink.

I am on medication for anxiety and depression but the anxiety isn't helped much by it. My medication is a bit of a stimulant so it is normal to have some jitters with it.

I think that I need to also abstain from coffee/ caffeine because it makes me jittery and more easily agitated.

Uppers and downers... uppers and downers... gotta break that cycle.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
  1. Take a deep breath.
  2. Accept that you're anxious.
  3. Realize that your brain is playing tricks on you.
  4. Question your thoughts.
  5. Use a calming visualization.
  6. Be an observer — without judgment.
  7. Use positive self-talk.
  8. Focus on right now.

You'll note that drinking to seek instant relief isn't on the list.
ill add before it all to accept a drink wont help.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by pearlady View Post
I think that I need to also abstain from coffee/ caffeine because it makes me jittery and more easily agitated.
Lots of good advice from others here about coping with immediate anxiety attacks. but I think you've also hit on something here. I have become MUCH more sensitive to caffeine now that I am sober for some reason, and i cannot drink more than a cup or so of regular coffee ( I generally drink half caff or decaf now ) otherwise it sends my anxiety through the roof.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a cup and a half of coffee this morning when I got to work and the anxiety started almost immediately. Previous to that, I felt decent. I have never really thought about how sensitive I might be to caffeine. It doesn't make me jittery if I drink it in tea but coffee ...whew.

I really enjoy that hot cup of coffee as a ritual but I think now that I am in recovery, I need to limit anything that triggers anxiety as best I can.

Decaf it is!
Old 06-08-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Agree on the caffeine. I drink a ton, but lately at almost a month sober, I'm noticing I'm waking up with headaches and get more headaches during the day, and am clenching my jaw a lot more (which I've always done in response to anxiety/stress, for years). I'm prescribed an anxiolytic, but I don't like to take it during the day since it just makes me tired. It does help with the clenching when I sleep, though. I do notice that if I take the bigger dose at bedtime (which I used to be able to do just fine) I REALLY have a hard time getting going in the morning, so I'm more sensitive to that med, as well.

While I haven't really looked for myself yet, my sister has told me that you can search on sites like YouTube, Spotify (not sure where you are...this is the music streaming service I use), etc and find a lot of guided meditation pieces, music, etc. Might be worth a look.

Hang in there!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There are some herbal meds like valerian root which is pretty good for anxiety as I take it myself...I think check with doctor first though as it might interact with other meds....
Old 06-08-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am also dealing with anxiety. I'm only 19 days sober so I know it's normal but anxiety had always been my biggest obstacle to staying sober. Knowing that a couple pints of beer will calm my mind instantly has on many occasions seen me unable to walk past a pub without going in. I need to just accept that I'll be anxious for a while
Old 06-08-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Look up 'Tapping' aka Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) if you don't already know about it...might help x
Old 06-08-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better, Pearlady. Anxiety is hard to deal with. You've gotten lots of good advice here. 'Belly Breathing' is something that works for me. It's simple and works quickly to slow down the panicky feelings most of the time.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There's an anxiety buster thread here started by Soberwolf with a link to some breathing exercises and other ideas.
I have bad anxiety/panick disorder so I feel your pain.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You all are so awesome. I can't wait to try all of the different techniques and it is good to know that I'm not the only one having anxiety. I had anxiety before I ever started drinking and I can agree with others that it is a significant factor in my sobriety.

Also, all week I have slept poorly. I jolt awake at least twice a night. Last night I had to sit up and read for a while.

My plan is:

Limit caffeine
Try breathing techniques
Be mindful of my thought patterns
Old 06-09-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Pearlady- I have read this thread with a lot of interest since your statement about holding your breath - exactly me!!

I just started yoga thanks to an AA friend and it is hard for me to keep focused on breathing. But I think it will help and plan to keep going. Have you tried it?

Thanks for sharing this with us- all the suggestions are ones I need to try!

Have a good day!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just sending support from a fellow anxiety ridden friend LOL.

I hope you have a wonderful and calm day!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AA Member

i do an hour of hard cardio exercise everyday

as a natural ...

resentful
fearful
rageful
angry

person, as important as meetings for me!

Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I second the exercise. It has helped me with my anxiety in a major way.