SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Pondering why I'm still sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/392607-pondering-why-im-still-sober.html)

MIRecovery 06-07-2016 06:03 PM

Pondering why I'm still sober

I think the single biggest reason is my commitment to growth. Everyday I work on getting better than I am. I will never be done. I need to learn more, help more, love more, meditate more, become more honest, become more spiritual, practice forgiveness, set boundaries, get healthier, embrace change, work on self centeredness.

I have a very long way to go with the above list but that is half the fun. I am so bad at so many things that I can actually see improvement and growth.

For this alcoholic if I'm not moving forward I'm moving backward because if we don't change we are condemned to stay the same

Arbor 06-07-2016 06:15 PM

That's great MIR. I feel the same way! One of the best things about sobriety is growth and the ability to move forward with your life. Well done! :)

Forte 06-07-2016 06:16 PM

Well said mate, you always inspire me to try and be a better man when I read your posts.
Thank you

IvanMike 06-07-2016 07:58 PM

Recovery seems to be one of those things we want more of.

Then again, we always tend to want more of everything... ;)

Notimetoloose 06-07-2016 09:13 PM

I sometimes times ponder the same thing....I tried so hard and so many times to get and maintain sobriety...and...now I have over a couple of years I wonder how am I doing it..
Reading the post of those still drinking or still trying to string a few days together scare me and fill my heart with fear that that could so easily be me.
When I was drinking, I would wonder why it was so hard to get sober and would wonder what was wrong with me that I could not get what I wanted..sobriety.
Sobriety is a massive ongoing learning curve.

Mags1 06-07-2016 09:22 PM

Great post MRI, certainly food for thought for me!

MythOfSisyphus 06-08-2016 12:15 AM

I too strive to be a better person than I was yesterday. That's a tall order sometimes, not because that person was so great but because so many of our most nagging flaws are deeply ingrained into our personality. Still, I strive to overcome myself.

tufty13 06-08-2016 02:16 AM

Stupid as it sounds, part of me is happy to have been an actively drinking alcoholic.

I believe that without this experience I wouldn't have such hunger for personal growth.

I now feel that life, God (as God is to me) and every single person I interact with are deserving of my undevided love and attention.

Having been stuck in a fug for decades, I've got some catching up to do.

aasharon90 06-08-2016 02:35 AM

Remember friend what we are taught.

Keep It Simple and Progress Not Perfection.

We want to strive to become better,
healthier, happier, honest folks in all
we do, but we don't to be so rigorous,
that we can't enjoy the gifts of recovery
that is offered to us.

We are here to enjoy life and have
fun. To laugh, humorous, childlike
giggles, :) relax while continueing
on our recovery journey passing
on what we've been taught and
learned in AA or recovery program.

Each step you take, every move