Notices

The beast got me...

Old 06-07-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The beast got me...

I'm so ashamed, disappointed, anxious, feelings of impending doom...

This past weekend I had a horrible experience, and I relapsed. After a good 4 month run. The beast never left.

But I am more determined than ever to get sober, completely. No more.

I have no one else to talk to about this, so thanks for reading...
Old 06-07-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 06-07-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Welcome back!
Thank you
Old 06-07-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back SolidKarma. Any ideas on what you might do differently this time to make it work? How can we help?
Old 06-07-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Only thing to do is get back at it and fight back. Never give up. Don't let your AV beat you up or talk you into a drink. Stay in sobriety.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good for you for getting back here so quickly.

you are right, the beast NEVER dies, it NEVER sleeps, it will always lurk in the bushes. so we must remain vigilant. and build up our sober response to life's events.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you found your way back here.

All those horrendous feelings after a relapse, I know them too well. As counterintuitive as it may seem right now, be kind to yourself. Beating yourself up is of no value whatsoever right now.

You'll get it this time. Many are rooting for you!
Old 06-07-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. I didn't want to come here because I felt so ashamed of myself, but i'm glad I did.

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back SolidKarma. Any ideas on what you might do differently this time to make it work? How can we help?
The number one is that I need my sobriety to be from EVERYTHING, not just alcohol. I have a cannabis addiction too, and it slowly got worse as I quit drinking. I saw it coming, but now I know for certain I cannot use ANY substance.

Originally Posted by maimaitreya View Post
Only thing to do is get back at it and fight back. Never give up. Don't let your AV beat you up or talk you into a drink. Stay in sobriety.
Thank you...that is my plan.

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
good for you for getting back here so quickly.

you are right, the beast NEVER dies, it NEVER sleeps, it will always lurk in the bushes. so we must remain vigilant. and build up our sober response to life's events.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kelly12390 View Post
Glad you found your way back here.

All those horrendous feelings after a relapse, I know them too well. As counterintuitive as it may seem right now, be kind to yourself. Beating yourself up is of no value whatsoever right now.

You'll get it this time. Many are rooting for you!
Thank you Kelly, this really warmed my heart.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe look at it this way. You lost a weekend, but gained 4 months. Learn from what happened this weekend, add to your sober plans to keep this from happening again, then move forward. As you already know, staying sober is very hard work. Sometimes, the hardest part of staying sober is to get up after falling down and keep going. You can do this. John
Old 06-07-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope you stay.

My last relapse lasted 5 years.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SolidKarma - I'm glad you wanted to talk about what happened.

I did this a few times. Once, I went back out for years (like Kevin). I guess I needed further proof that I'd never be a social drinker - no matter how much willpower I thought I could use to moderate. When the first drink hits me, anything can happen. I was putting myself in dangerous & embarrassing situations. I don't know why I held on to it for so long - it feels wonderful to be free of it. You're going to do this.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Maybe look at it this way. You lost a weekend, but gained 4 months. Learn from what happened this weekend, add to your sober plans to keep this from happening again, then move forward. As you already know, staying sober is very hard work. Sometimes, the hardest part of staying sober is to get up after falling down and keep going. You can do this. John
Thank you for the kind words, and I'm glad you mentioned this. I am trying to look at it from this perspective. I'm going to a meeting tonight, I really don't want to drink. I'll update you all.

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
SolidKarma - I'm glad you wanted to talk about what happened.

I did this a few times. Once, I went back out for years (like Kevin). I guess I needed further proof that I'd never be a social drinker - no matter how much willpower I thought I could use to moderate. When the first drink hits me, anything can happen. I was putting myself in dangerous & embarrassing situations. I don't know why I held on to it for so long - it feels wonderful to be free of it. You're going to do this.
Thank you very much for the words of encouragement. I'm very thankful for this place, and I am also glad I came here. I feel so much better.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You slipped and fell, now you have to get right back up and commit to working your plan.

We can never get complacent and our AV never leaves. It is always there and it takes daily effort to make sure it stays locked away.

You can do this SolidKarma.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I feel I wanted to talk about another thing that was fascinating to me. Especially to other newcomers who might come look at these posts.

Some say that alcoholism is progressive, and even when you quit drinking, it stays right where you left it.

Now I had a hard time understanding or believing this. Because physiologically, tolerance to alcohol should go down when you stop drinking. I didn't drink for almost 4 months, and thus I thought when I relapsed 1 beer would mess me up!

Not even close. My tolerance was even HIGHER than the last time I drank! I easily drank 12 beers in a day, and I used to be done with 6.

I couldn't even believe this! I was experiencing first hand the progressive nature of my addiction. In fact, I can't even begin to think how this is possible, phyisologically. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Kelly12390 View Post
Beating yourself up is of no value whatsoever right now.
I would even go so far as to say beating yourself up is more of the beast getting to you. I was much more vulnerable to my addiction when I felt like a POS after a binge.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I used to use relapsing an excuse to just continue to use, use, use because "Hey what is the difference? I already messed up anyway". BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE.

Use this as an experience to show yourself where your recovery was lacking before and what you can implement into your recovery plan to be successful this time. Journaling has helped me watch myself grow and keep me accountable, also having a substance abuse counselor has been an amazing resource for finding ways to better myself and to force me to talk and think about things that I would like to keep buried in the back of my mind.

You can do this! As for being sober from every substance, I believe that once you become addicted to one substance you already have a personality that will turn to excess with anything you take so I even monitor how much I take of Benadryl, Aleive, etc. because I know that I have the propensity to over do anything and everything
Old 06-07-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Solidkarma, I'm so glad you came back. You had 4 good months and I'm sure you learned a lot about yourself and life without alcohol. You can regain those feelings. I'm sorry for what happened that pushed you to drink, but now you know how truly tricky this disease is, you can be prepared.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SolidKarma View Post
My tolerance was even HIGHER than the last time I drank! I easily drank 12 beers in a day, and I used to be done with 6. I couldn't even believe this! I was experiencing first hand the progressive nature of my addiction.
I believe this to be true because I've experienced the same thing in the past. And I know I'd hit it up even harder if I were to pick up tomorrow.

Glad your back SK. You can do this. Your on your way.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This site never ceases to amaze me. This morning I was desperate, heart broken, literally contemplating being alive...I didn't want to post here...I'm so glad I did.

I think it's fair to say that if it wasn't for all of your kind words of support I would be drinking right now. Instead, i'm getting my apartment cleaned up, and heading to a meeting in an hour.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.