Notices

New poster.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New poster.

I have struggled with alcohol addiction since 2008 when I split from my first husband. I finally got 6.5 months sober last year but stupidly thought I could control my drinking and due to mounting peer pressure (stupid when you're in your mid 30s) I started "mildly" drinking again. It was fine and "controlled" for a little while but by November I was back in full fledged addiction. I'm really getting frustrated with myself. I obviously can quit but I don't know why I am having a difficult time stopping again.

Every day it's the same crap. I wake up feeling like **** and promise myself no more. Stay hungover all day. I'm self employed and usually manage to be productive enough to skate by but I could do so much more if I was sober. By evening I'm drinking again. I don't like drinking in front of people, except my husband. I much prefer to be alone which I know is a gigantic issue.

I even called an alcoholic hotline last week and asked them to verify my insurance so I could get help.. but once I sobered up I did not want to go. I'm not even sure what I'm asking for by posting here. Maybe someone local (SE PA) who I could meet up with and hold me accountable? Thanks for listening and giving me an outlet.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Akire
Old 06-06-2016, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Akire,

Good luck on your journey, we've all been through the same struggle.

You will get sober again when you want it bad enough. :-)
Old 06-06-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Akire! I'm glad you found us.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! Always here to listen and support.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome. Check the stickies in front.

It gets tougher ea. Time to quit and relapse.

Look at yourself as a drug addict. It is easier to be tough on yourself that way.

Keep asking questions. Be specific.

This place saved my life. It is a fast track soberiety information.

Get clean. Change your life a bit. Stay clean
Old 06-07-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by akire81 View Post
I have struggled with alcohol addiction since 2008 when I split from my first husband. I finally got 6.5 months sober last year but stupidly thought I could control my drinking and due to mounting peer pressure (stupid when you're in your mid 30s) I started "mildly" drinking again. It was fine and "controlled" for a little while but by November I was back in full fledged addiction. I'm really getting frustrated with myself. I obviously can quit but I don't know why I am having a difficult time stopping again.

Every day it's the same crap. I wake up feeling like **** and promise myself no more. Stay hungover all day. I'm self employed and usually manage to be productive enough to skate by but I could do so much more if I was sober. By evening I'm drinking again. I don't like drinking in front of people, except my husband. I much prefer to be alone which I know is a gigantic issue.

I even called an alcoholic hotline last week and asked them to verify my insurance so I could get help.. but once I sobered up I did not want to go. I'm not even sure what I'm asking for by posting here. Maybe someone local (SE PA) who I could meet up with and hold me accountable? Thanks for listening and giving me an outlet.
Welcome akire81! You're in the right place.

I can tell you that it doesn't get better without making changes, but things can get better. I also had 2 periods of sobriety and fell back into full blown drinking. Once for a month or so during my divorce in 2010 and for 3 months in 2014.

Getting help through your insurance is a great idea. I've been ashamed of having a problem drinking and that hasn't helped me stay sober, much like the peer pressure you mentioned.

Anyways, welcome again!
Old 06-07-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Part of the sobering up for me was I had to hate the feeling of waking up with the shakes, unable to do pretty much anything vs waking up sober at 5 am ready to welcome what the day had to offer and giving thanks for my sobriety, add to that what the booze was taking away from me and the anger towards it grew, that kept it at bay while I developed a plan to stay sober and it worked.

All the best in your journey
Andrew
Old 06-07-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Akire... you sound just like me. Have you thought about attending an AA meeting? I'm sober 10 days and have gone to a few meetings. It's hard and I'm waaaaay out of my comfort zone but I've met a few people. I force myself to go and each time I do I walk out of the meeting happy that i did. Check out to see what meetings are in your area. Good luck in your journey!
Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Akire

What did you do to achieve the 6.5 months sober? Have you looked into local AA meetings? Your husband, does he know you're an alcoholic? Or is he?