Notices

Keeping away from the alcohol

Old 06-06-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, everyone, I was doing really good for a number of months, staying away from alcohol and not drinking, until I went to a sci-fi convention and was offered a drink by one of my favorite authors. I had the drink because I didn't want to be rude. Just one drink, I told myself, and with that all of my hard work went down the drain. And it was one drink. It was watered down hotel drinks, probably not even a shot, it tasted like water.Felt so ashamed afterwards. Ever since then, all I can think about is alcohol. I know, it was a stupid reason, but aren't all reasons to drink stupid? At any rate, I'm just grateful it was one drink and not 15, because that's what I do, I have one drink and it leads to 15. Progress. It would be better if I could hit six months, but I guess I'm just going to try again. Currently, I am sitting outside of a bank waiting for it to close. If 5 PM rolls by and it closes, I can't get money for booze. I was just about to walk in when the radio played Staying Alive. I stayed in the car. Once the song was over, I went to get out again. The radio played Living On A Prayer. Now I'm on soberrecovery letting you all know about my pathetic Monday afternoon. But here's the point. I'm not drinking. I'm not going to drink today. It's super hard not to walk into that bank right now. But I'm not going to do it. This is my third time on the other side of being drunk, and this time it's going to be for real. If you have to take lessons from the radio and sit outside a bank till it closes, then do that. The DJ obviously didn't know that I needed to hear both songs, but maybe the universe did. Just sit stay sober, however you can. And if your favorite author gives you a drink at a convention, just say no. Don't worry about how it makes you look. Or else you'll be sitting in front of a bank looking stupid. But you'll be sober.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you're not walking in. Now it's time to drive away.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just drove away!!!!! Now I'm at a Wawa getting a slushie. Hurrah.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like a good idea Zelda. How long ago was the convention? Have you been doing anything to help since then? Sounds like a bit of white-knuckling this afternoon, no?
Old 06-06-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was a week ago. I've been doing a lot of white knuckling because the cravings have not gone away. I haven't talk to my boyfriend because I'm afraid he'll be angry with me. I should probably go to a meeting today. With my slushy, LOL.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am just grateful you only had one drink and not fifteen again. For that, you should be proud of yourself. You should also give yourself some credit that you have not drank any alcohol since having that one drink. If your goal is abstaining from drinking altogether, don't let this be a major set back. You get back up and keep going.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Enjoy that slushie, Zelda!
Keep moving forward, it took a lot of strength to get away. Use this momentum.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep up the good work Zeldachan
Old 06-06-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Zelda, I'm glad you're back and working on your recovery.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Minor bump in the road, just get back on track. You had one drink, not several weeks of binging....don't be too hard on yourself.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome. You won't regret this tomorrow...and I bet you'll feel a little stronger for it