Notices

Mom in hospital: Coping strategies

Old 06-06-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mom in hospital: Coping strategies

My mom is in the hospital and may have had a stroke. The medical staff is still doing tests so not sure yet what the deal is. I live 12 hours away from my family and I am not able to go be with them. This is a situation that would normally trigger me to drink but I will not use this as an excuse to do that. I will process my feelings, I will allow myself to hurt, I will learn to cope in a positive and healthy way. Does anyone have any coping suggestions?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Move your body. Go for a walk. Clean the house. Wash your sheets. Do something active with your physical body to get outside of your head. When I am frightened or anxious I need to do something physical to take my mind off things. I can't "out think" anything so I need to shut off my brain.

I suggest:

A long walk
Cooking a nice dinner
Hot bath
Netflix and bed

Prayers for you and your mom!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thinking of you Pearlady know you have us x
Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

exercise and presence....

anything that gets you out of your head and into the moment at hand.

I used to go for 'moving meditation' walks... just really being hyper attentive to everything around me. Walking slowly, noticing the colors, the shapes, the things, the peoples, the smells... even saying aloud to myself; "That boat is smooth, orange, looks sleek, and sits on an angle in that drive...." etc. Just narrating the moment. It was a strategy for coping with things outside my control that were taking over my NOW.

More vigorous exercise - like distance running or cycling can also be very effective and have the added benefit of endorphin release and stress relief.

Seated meditation.... allowing thoughts to ebb and flow.

Journaling - to get the emotions out on paper and off your chest.

Therapy - or just talking to a friend about how you're feeling.

hang in there.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This exact thing happened to me last week.

I don't know about coping strategies- I just didn't drink so I could drive and be there for her

Xoxoxo
Old 06-06-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
exercise and presence....

anything that gets you out of your head and into the moment at hand.

I used to go for 'moving meditation' walks... just really being hyper attentive to everything around me. Walking slowly, noticing the colors, the shapes, the things, the peoples, the smells... even saying aloud to myself; "That boat is smooth, orange, looks sleek, and sits on an angle in that drive...." etc. Just narrating the moment. It was a strategy for coping with things outside my control that were taking over my NOW.

I really love this idea. I used to go for walks like that when I was in college and it was very refreshing. I had forgotten how much it made me feel better.

I am going to try that this afternoon.

Thanks to all for the positive ideas and thoughts!