Notices

Job related : I sure could use some prayers...

Old 06-08-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

From the HR Manager

I wish I had read this a long time ago. I am an HR manager for a company of 700 employees. I have a degree in HR Management and my PHR certification (oh, and I'm an alcoholic).

If you had told HR from the very beginning that you had an alcohol problem, there is nothing they could have done with regard to terminating you. They would have been obligated to offer you accommodation because, as someone on this thread already mentioned, you are protected under the American's with Disabilities Act. At this point, it seems as though it may have progressed to the point that you may (or have already) lost your job. You can't do anything to force them to call you back; however, you might be eligible for unemployment, but once again, you will need to be completely honest and if it is denied, file an appeal.

I hope this has been helpful. Please feel free to reach out to me if you want to talk more about this.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Their whole stance is that I did not tell HR. My reasoning - this company bought out the other company that I worked for, so my job did not change, but the company name did.

Based on past experience, I knew that others had went to HR and it was all over the company. I know who is in trouble for sexual harassment, who was charging too expensive wine on the company cc, who is being investigated for fraud, who is on probation. I should NOT know this. I did not feel safe going to HR and that things would be held confidentially. AT the time I did not need to deal with gossip. I could not deal with the gossip. I was trying to get myself right. Upon discussing things with my attorney and family I did not tell HR. They said I should report anything within 24-48 hours. I obviously did not do that.

My packet says that I have 13 points on my MVR. I do not. I have 0 points. They are basing the 13 points on the fact that I will be found guilty of all charges. My attorney says fight that, but I really have no recourse about the 24-48 hour deal. HR did call me today. 48 hours AFTER I requested for them to call me.

In the end, I"m wrong. I know that. I was not in a good place mentally to deal with the gossip monger so when I was in treatment trying to get myself right.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

@Behappy1. I know I'm not supposed to give professional advice here--just trying to help. So, you might consider filing a complaint with the EEOC. It costs you nothing and you may (probably will) get a settlement for wrongful termination.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Been to HR myself
Stick close to HR and be honest.
Main thing stay sober they don't play.
If doing the right things no worries.
MM
Old 06-15-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Mountain Man - I was fired. I'm not sure what you mean stay close to HR?

STG - I would love to either PM you or know more of what you're saying about EEOC? I guess I am super ticked because HR did not call me AT ALL after learning this information until AFTER I was fired. They did not even call me to get my side of the story before hand.

And hey all - I am NOT drinking! This post is a week old. I am still very upset, but I am upset and sober.