Notices

Fear

Old 06-06-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear

I am really anxious. I am still drinking too much. I am worried about a lot of things but right now I am really worried about nerve damage. Not from drinking. I was in an accident in 2009 and have had 7 back surgeries as a result. The most recent was a major fusion of my lumbar spine (the second fusion surgery in that specific area). Thankfully I did not get addicted to pain killers at all (and I didn't even drink the entire month of February because I was way too sick from the surgery).

Now I am having tingling down my right arm and my right hand is weak. I am right handed.

Could this be related to my surgeries or could it be from drinking? I am really scared.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had a lot of tingling at the end of my drinking. I would fall asleep and then wake up and my whole arm would be numb and I would be unable to move it. Neuropathy. Once I stopped drinking that all went away. I had a lot of fear that I had done permanent damage to my body but thankfully, I had not.

The only way to find out is to 1) stop drinking and 2) go to the doctor. Be totally honest. Tell them about the drinking. They should be able to determine what is causing the tingling.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SpringWater View Post
Now I am having tingling down my right arm and my right hand is weak. I am right handed.

Could this be related to my surgeries or could it be from drinking? I am really scared.
It could be related to either of those things, or even your anxiety or even something unknown. But we cannot diagnose you here, you'd need to see a doctor to find out.

Obviously continuing to drink "too much" will not help anything though, have you considered seeking some help to quit?
Old 06-06-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It can be a whole number of things, please call and make and appointment with your doctor and if you haven't already, please come clean and tell them your entire drinking history and that you are still drinking. Your doctors can't help you if they don't know the whole story.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How long ago was the last surgery? The only way to really know is to talk to your dr. Try not to panic. Be proactive and get answers from the pros. Hang in there
Old 06-06-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My last surgery was February 1, 2016.

I've gone to 4 AA meetings since Friday. Plan to keep going.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think giving up drinking now is your next best move
Old 06-06-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We can't offer any medical advice here, but if you had surgery in the lumbar region, most "issues" you would encounter would be below where the surgery was performed (below the waist). Arm and hand use/pain is usually affected by work done in the cervical portion of the spine. 2 cents.