Notices

Telling your employer that you need to go to rehab

Old 06-06-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Telling your employer that you need to go to rehab

Hi All,

I'm having a very hard time staying sober. I've been struggling to get a few hours together, and I just can't do it. It's getting to point where I'm fearing for my life.

Have any of you ever been in this situation? I think I need to go to an inpatient rehab and I don't know how to tell my employer.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventurer

If your struggling to get a few hours together maybe you need a detox. You might be best heading to the Dr or ER.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

forget work!! you need to worry about you! get to a doctor and detox it's more important then work....if your not clean and sober ..eventually you won't have work!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how to approach the topic with my boss. I'm guessing honesty is probably best.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

If you're in the states you can get time off using fmla (family medical leave). But you'll have to work with your care provider and employer to ensure the program you use qualifies. Work thru the HR department. Most employees are pretty cool about it and HR is required by law, HIPAA, to keep the reason for fmla confidential.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eyeshake View Post
I'm not sure how to approach the topic with my boss. I'm guessing honesty is probably best.
Eyeshake, you just "man up" and tell your boss. It might just save your life AND your job. Here in the US companies by law are pretty understanding, its considered a health issue/emergency. Take action, you won't regret it.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You don't have to tell them anything other than you need to take time off for a medical/health issue. As described by others above you have rights for your healthcare to remain private and also family medical leave.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Unfortunately not everyone in the US can get FMLA. There are several conditions that must be met. Not just yourself but your employer. Hopefully you can. But regardless if you are or not you may just need to do it no matter what. Assuming you are in the US, here is a brief guideline. But I think your question isn't so much are you covered but HOW to tell your boss.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28.htm
Old 06-06-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Agree - You need time off immediately for a health issue. You don't need to go into detail and they have no legal grounds to question you. A friend of mine just took a month off for rehab. Best of luck.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been on FMLA a few times for other reasons. The rehab program you go to can help you with the paperwork, you need a medical certification filled out by a doctor. If you have been at your job 12 months then you should qualify. You don't have to say anything to your supervisor about details, HR is the place to go.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I will echo what a few others stated in this thread, only say you have health issues that you need to attend to. That's all you're required to disclose. HR is NOT your advocate. HR's allegiance is with the company they work for. Whatever you say can and will be used against you. Use caution here.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just ask for some vacation time. Your employer doesn't really need to know what it is for.