Notices

Have been doing a bit of thinking

Old 06-06-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Thinking more about this today I realized that at some stage my thoughts shifted from I can't drink forever to choose sobriety. It occurs to me that I don't really think about forever or never drinking again comma I simply greet each day and remind myself that I choose silver I choose a sober life I choose to live my life as fully and deeply as I can. I think getting rid of the idea of forever or I can never drink again and shifting instead to the life that I do choose to have made it a lot easier for me and in a sense it was the choice to never drink again put in a more positive light
that's just it - I'm not there yet - I will have four months Friday and mentally I'm not there. I still have "some day" fantasies about moderating. And going day to day the last month isn't working for me - I need an attainable goal as it were, the next milestone if you will, that I am striving for. Something far reaching and beyond the health issues I'm currently experiencing. I don't feel myself with what is going on and having to be less active than I prefer is leading to depression and I'm trying to find a grasp around this. I can say that I've felt the strongest in my sobriety that I have in a few weeks when I made this post today ... I realize to some to doesn't make sense, but it is what is working for me for today.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

that's why I love SR

I like that, Ultra....

Also it reminds me of a simple fact; "Forever" is basically the same thing as "Today".

Tomorrow, next week, the end of the year, 2055..... these are all just imaginary concepts. They don't exist.

The only actual place we can drink or not drink is RIGHT NOW. Today.
"FOREVER is basically the same thing as TODAY."

Holy crap-I've never heard that. Pretty profound-simple but true.

A miracle is just a shift in perception. <3
Old 06-06-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

With you all the way my sober sister
Old 06-07-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Rar

Thinking more about this today I realized that at some stage my thoughts shifted from I can't drink forever to choose sobriety. It occurs to me that I don't really think about forever or never drinking again comma I simply greet each day and remind myself that I choose silver I choose a sober life I choose to live my life as fully and deeply as I can. I think getting rid of the idea of forever or I can never drink again and shifting instead to the life that I do choose to have made it a lot easier for me and in a sense it was the choice to never drink again put in a more positive light

I believe this is where I am today. I have had 2 relapses and am at 3 weeks. I was sad thinking I would never drink again, picturing myself in social situations without the drinks I enjoyed. I visioned myself in Florida (where we winter), sitting on my lanai without drinks. I fretted how I would cope. After 3 weeks, I can now comfortably picture myself with a club soda, ice tea, etc. on the lanai. Today at 3 weeks, it seems my desire for alcohol has passed. I still don't feel well - have horrible anxiety, can't sleep, restless legs, etc. Alcohol lessened those issues. I wish my issues would go away, but I don't feel the need to drink alcohol to fix them. Does that make sense?