Notices

New and worried about stopping.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and worried about stopping.

Hi everyone,

Been a drinker for 20 years, also suffered panic and anxiety attacks on and off for last 16, basically I was prescribed meds for those, which would work, been on and off the same med until 3 years ago when I suffered extreme intrusive thoughts, so I came off them and started using booze as my medicine!! I then read about withdrawal seizures from alcohol and have basically had around 1 -1.5 bottles of wine each night, my wife thought I was using the withdrawal fear as an excuse (there may be some truth in that) but the only days I didn't drink was when I was poorly (I managed a whole 5 days a few months ago, no withdrawal symptons at all, but still started back on it.).

Around a month ago the panic attacks started again, and my days are basically in a state of panic, until I finish work have a glass of wine then start to feel normalish, however finally decided to go and see a doctor last week, she didn't give me meds but sent me to a drug and alcohol resource centre, and told me to have a liver function test.

Now I am absolutely terrified i will find I have severe liver damage or cancer which has set me to panic overload, I have to go to a group session at the centre on Thursday which I will go through with, then the blood tests on Friday which I am on the verge of cancelling out of fear, I walk about six miles per day, also take vitamin tabs especially for the liver, I eat and am overweight, but all this worry is making my life a misery for me and my family, just wondered if there was anyone out there with similar experiences?

Sorry to witter on like this!!

Ady
Old 06-06-2016, 01:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Breathe ... i know how intrusive though are very upsetting I have OCD and i get them all the time and take panic attacks
i know that drinking may make things easier but it will wreak your body
glad your seeing a dr
i hope the liver test goes well and you are ok
just do it one day at a time and if you cant do that one minute at a time
Old 06-06-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Stop drinking - that is certainly not going to hurt your liver scores.
I sympathize - I just went through a bunch of health related things after drinking for 35 years I am attempting sobriety. I took supplements which were okay with my physician (milk thistle) and drank lots of water. A stomach pill I was taking did make my liver test worse. Read up on meds and the liver - meds have to go through it. I was on anti-anxiety meds too. And had/still get anxiety attacks. I am trying to find ways to work through those without the meds. But that is me. Talk to your physician and figure out what is best for you.
Take a deep breath and deal with JUST the next thing you have to do. You will get through this one thing at a time.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I don't know about panic attacks while drinking, but I did get regular visits from the hideous four horsemen, terror, bewilderment, frustration and despair. Many alcholics relate to this.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

recovery from alcohol can help you with what you're struggling through.

sounds like alongside that, you will benefit from therapy and the supervision of a good doctor - at least for a while.

often, issues with anxiety and depression are hugely exacerbated by alcohol - even if at first they seemed to 'treat' them.

often, issues with anxiety and depression can be managed to a point that they no longer plague us or go into remission - or are at the very least tolerable and allow us to live full and even happy lives.

but - one thing is for certain; using alcohol as a coping or medicating strategy is a downward spiral and only serves to worsen anxiety, depression and other things.