Notices

Stay Sober Here - All Welcome ... Weekender June 5

Old 06-05-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post

Ven, are them peonies by chance? I dug out my daffodil bulbs, I dug up the irises on one side, only a couple flowered, they needed to be dug up, I came close to digging out the peonies, but will wait till next week.... relocate them by the fence... I discovered landscape 'cloth' about 6" under the existing, whatever/garden... I am actually going back to the vision I had for this over 20 years ago... why not!

Yes, they are! There were tons of them for sale this morning at the farmers market!
Old 06-05-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Behan, your drive along the coast sounded heavenly!
Old 06-05-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hey gang. Feeling recovered from my illness and back out enjoying the deep Caribbean ocean and wildlife today. Three trips to different beaches on the bike today. On the way home this afternoon I caught a few critters active in the trees. The first are baby howler monkeys playing in the trees. The second, a much easier target: two-toed sloth.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Ello All! Finally checking in ......We experienced an unexpected power outage this a.m. which we used as an excuse to go out for breakfast (yum)! While there, we received a text that the power was back on...yay. 40 minutes later, another text from good ole PP&L...power back out...Boo Visited with some friends & family, politely declined alcohol, ignored dropping jaws of those within earshot, and arrived home happily sober around 2:30 to find that the power was still out Double Boo I decided to go for a run, hubby finally caved and fired up the generator. In need of a shower, I consulted the lord of the manor who assured me, I repeat, assured me that I could grab a shower. Generator on....all systems go. Well lets just say it ended with the "well running dry" and room temperature bottled water. The lady of the house is not happy, not happy at all. Power still out. Deep Breath....end rant.

MLD-Congrats on remaining true to you & honoring how you feel
Old 06-05-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Brain trach is having a hard time ( he's ok) but there's some stuff going on that I'll let him disclose if he wants
So I'll tag up with him at the end of my trip
Old 06-05-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Big S, that photo of the sloth is phenomenal. Congrats!
Old 06-05-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks Venecia! High-res version here: http://www.upl.co/uploads/DSC0057-501465166794.jpg
Old 06-05-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Okay Ven… here goes…
Buy new shades

Or
In the close up of the bracket, the front part of the bracket slides to the left. It is in grooves top and bottom. The one on the left side of the shade will slide out to the right. Remove both of these. You may need a flat tip screw driver if they are really tight. Just put the screwdriver tip on an angle and lightly ‘tap’ it out by using the palm of your hand like a hammer. Once you get a gap/opening in the ‘window’ put the screwdriver behind it and tap it out.
The shade will be sitting in the brackets with the front part exposed. Carefully lift it out and lay it flat on the floor or bed – if it ain’t covered with junk.
Get a needle nose pliers or regular pliers. Count the number of strings and make sure you grasp them all with the pliers. There should be the same number of strings that broke off. Gently pull on the strings while lifting the shade toward the top. Pull out 12 inches or so. Make sure they are exactly even. Using the string that broke off, tie it to the ones you pulled out. You may first want to cut the strings with a scissors to remove the frayed part. Make a good knot and snug it to make sure it doesn’t come apart.
An easy knot would be to hold two lengths parallel and tie a tight granny knot. Then pull the strings in opposite directions to firm them up and make sure they don’t come apart.
Then put the shade back into the bracket, Slide the little windows back in. You’re done.
Depending on your skill at tying the knot, you may lose an inch of length to full down.

oh, you may have to 'lift' the shade first to loosen the strings/give them slack to grab them.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

a better knot would be a single surgeons knot, but you might lose too much length
also, tie the strings individually, not as a 'group'

BigS - wow, just wow, great photo... you sure he was 'active'?
Old 06-05-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

All Wildlife! All The Time!

This ~5' Snake went slithering around the House, and I could finally snap this so-so Pic when he stopped for a moment. No comp to that totally bitchen Pic from BigS! Man, that was stupor kewl!

STILL haven't unpacked the Trailer and Truck. The excuse de jour was to clear out some krap in the Kloset. Then, I hooked up a temp Evaporative 'Swamp' Cooler I've been using for Years. Snagged it for free when a City House Neighbor who had A/C installed wheeled it out to the Curb. It does a good-enough job in this Super Insulated House, since we're feelin' the 90 F [32 C] Temps this Week. I'm still not sold on installing modular, Duct-less Mitsubishi A/C [or any other A/C], so that dialog continues around here. I'd rather do a Pro Swamp Cooler, as we used at the last City House. Since we're saving ~$325/Month now from shedding Mountain House Expenses, we can afford *whatever*. I just don't want to pay for more Electricity. Jah ever notice how you never hear the term 'Expensive Skate'?

A big ole 'Welcome' to all the new Folks finding a bit of Sober Home here. This lil Sober *Salon* is thee best!

Old 06-05-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hmm Mesa, you can't really use a glass and a postcard like I do with spiders. Sometimes I am glad to live in London.

That said neighbours are rowing so I am still up
Old 06-05-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's rowing as in arguing not propelling a boat
Old 06-05-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Home after a nice afternoon in the park watching a recital of a whole bunch of kids who take lessons where my son takes guitar. He and his dad (bass player) did a great rendition of the Police "Don't Stand So Close to Me." Guy friend wins the friend award today for sitting in the hot son with me. Then we went to the supper club to hang out and chat. It was nice. I had been tempted to hole up all day, but I'm glad I didn't. He cheered me up, and told me he was proud of me for standing my little tiny piece of ground regarding Handyman. And thanks to all of you for your support. I'm really not some nut job who can't make up her mind.

Home and putting steaks on the grill for dinner.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

It's alright marty- I am a nut job who can't make up her mind haha

I can't believe he said he feels used and that he loves you- isn't that a chick thing to say?
Old 06-05-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

São that's funny because it's the same trick I sometimes use. I don't like killing spiders. Or I pick them up with a paper towel. Sorry your neighbors are being loud. Hopefully it doesn't happen often.

Cool pics BigS and Mesa.

I'm home. Blah. I don't like being home because it reminds me how much work needs doing around here. Husband does nothing. GRRR. Not really working for money or around the house. Somehow it doesn't seem fair and it's maddening when he tells me to sit down and relax, that he'll do it tomorrow. When I know for dang sure he won't
Old 06-05-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I made it through the weekend tomorrow is day 7
Old 06-05-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
It's alright marty- I am a nut job who can't make up her mind haha I can't believe he said he feels used and that he loves you- isn't that a chick thing to say?
That's what I thought, too.
Not that you're a nut job - the chick thing.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Sorry about the noisy Neighbors, Sao. Sheesh! Don't you have a Can of the ubiquitous U.K. Beans you could heave at them?

We had some Clueless Neighbors up at our Mountain House where Sound really carries. With a vicious Dog that once followed my SUV up our Driveway to then almost bite my Ankle as I got out of said SUV. Glad to be rid of all their Guano. Proximity matters... The weird aspect of Mountain Property is that plenty of Folks see it as a place to run away to where Courtesy and Rules just don't apply. High Country Cretins. Other Neighbors were absolute Gems.

- 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' ~ The Police ~ Live -

Way to rock it BronzeMist! Keep on keepin' on.

I can hear Mister Snake slither alongside the House behind me here outside in the Shade. We have some Wire Mesh on the lower Walls to enable sticking some Stone to it some Day, and have it bond. MesaMate just came outside, and jumped high as only a formerJockette can.

I'm easily amused in Sobriety...
Old 06-05-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

wow - 40 minutes goes quick, I need a couple hours on the mando, but the pain in my shoulder from hammering rebar and spikes suddenly showed up as I was pickin and not grinnin... but I must say, the breaks are helpful cause I noticed the improvement since last time, even tho it was idle time...

MESA! send me that snake, it's just what I need!

glad you had an opportunity to talk with you friend ML... that's comforting to know...
Old 06-05-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I would say courtesy and rules apply even more in the country because there are times you really do need other people. In the city there's higher volume.